Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Exercise Can Be Interesting


So on Monday after work, I met with Tod to get some walking in and we had elected to walk to beautiful *cough cough* downtown Hagerstown.� There are parts of the town that are pretty, don't get me wrong, but the disappointment comes in that for years small businesses have been struggling to survive down there and more times than not, they fail.� But there were a few I had not yet explored, so in the horrid humidity, we headed down.



There�is a little what I call "junk shop" that I pass on one of my routes home that I had been wanting to scope out, so we went there first only to find it closed.� As I was peeking in the window, a woman, smartly dressed in a tank and skirt, approached Tod and asked if he would help her move a grill into her truck.� Well, the grill was freakin' HUGE, but he got it in there with skirt lady's help (and a tiny bit from me).� She then tried to give him $20 which he refused, even when she tried to convince him to go buy his "wife" ice cream. Obviously, I look like i need ice cream.



As he was now rather dirty from moving the grill, I suggested we walk over to the library so he could clean up in the bathroom.� As we walked in front of the library, an elderly woman stopped me and said "Honey, you got a man." Not too sure how to handle the situation, I said, "At the moment, yes."� She then asked if she could borrow him.� I asked her what she needed and she replied "Just a little huggin' and a little kissin'." As we walked away laughing, Tod said "Tell me you know her."



"Nope, never saw her before in my life."



True story.



We finally got a little shopping in, checking out a woman's clothing store, with beautiful things albeit expensive.� We then checked out the downtown thrift store, which has not changed much since my last visit; still junky with stained clothing.� Gross.� Finally, a little consignment shop, where I found a pair of pink, damn capris for $7.� We walked through the square and looked at the evening gowns in the windows of the stores and then back in the general direction of home.� It was then Tod discovered he had left his cell phone in the consignment shop, so his walk turned into a jog (he had already run that morning) back to the store to retrieve it.� I took the opportunity to poke my head into the bead store and pick up a class schedule as I do have�a secret desire to learn to make jewelry.



We walked home via the street when The Brit and I first lived.� Our first apartment was an old historical house that was made up of three apartment and we had the whole first floor, only sharing the building with two other girls. Loved that place.� Tod had actually painted the fireplace in that house to look like marble.� The place had been empty for awhile and as we walked past it, I pointed out to him how his fireplace was still there.� Looking into the other side of the downstairs, I discovered that the layout of our old computer room had been changed a bit.� The wall at one time had fake stone and built in bookshelves which were now gone.� I walked up on the grass to have a closer look even as Tod warned me there were people inside looking at the place.�



These said people, two girls, came out and we told her I had lived there eight years go and she offered to let me go through it!� Made my day!� The new owners had done some serious work, especially on the kitchen, which had been completely updated since we had lived there.� They told us to come back anytime, and I want to find the photos we took when we first moved in to show her next time.� A little walk down memory lane for me on a Monday!



Tomorrow, Thursday 13 and my California Bucket List!





�The buzzing metropolis of Hagerstown.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a nice little walk. :) It'll be fun to remember that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I've learn myself through many years of struggling how important it is for myself to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete