Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Race (HA!) Report


Saturday morning was hot, humid and muggy.� I was feeling a little bit under the weather due to something the night before, but I was also determined to shake it.� I checked in, got my number and my chip timer and then did some walking and stretching to warm up while I waited for Leisl.�� It was hot and the bugs were annoying and there were way more people there than I thought there would be.�



Finally found Leisl just minutes before the National Anthem was to be sung and got her sorted out with my nano, as I was going to run with my ipod touch for the first time.� It wouldn't fit in my waist bag with the case, so I removed it.� We were both stoked to get started and The Brit and my boys were there and Leisl's hubby Marlon and her friend Susan.� The anthem was sung and a prayer was said and they counted down.� We had lined up in the back, knowing we were going to be slower runners as first timers.



The beginning felt easy other than my ipod was being as asshat, wanting to only play thirty seconds of each song before switching to another one. Took it out of my bag and tried carrying it and I had a carry it a certain way in order for it to behave.� Not sure what was up with that and haven't had a second run with it yet.� Anyone have any ideas?



Ran to the first water stop and walked long enough to drink down some gatorade.� Started running again until I met my current nemesis...a hill.� Walked up and then resumed running.� Leisl and I stayed more or less together, only really having one longer walk and running the majority.�� I could not run the major hills, so I walked up them as fast as I could.�



The last leg of the run, Leisl sprinted ahead a bit and then her hubby, Marlon was beside me with my youngest son to run me the rest of the way to the finish.�



�Cleavage sweat is sexy, no?



�47:04.� Not terrible for a first timer who was only running a mile at a time before this race.� Gotta tell you, nothing beats the feeling of finishing...nothing.� The reality of even running a 5K badly has not yet set in with me.



� Susan brought flowers for both of us even though I had not met her before Saturday!� Sweet girl.



Told Michael about the run tonight before kickboxing and he thought my time was fabulous for a first time out.� I told him about my relaxing weekend with friends and how people had brought a total of 12 bags of chips for the getaway (I ate strictly the pretzels I brought).� During kickboxing, he was trying to kill us and teased and stated "We need to work off the weekend some of you had, eating 12 bags of chips." We all laughed, even though only a few of us knew the joke, then he said, "What you don't know is that the person who did not eat 12 bags of chips, also ran a 5K this weekend." He indicated me and everyone applauded.� I love my GBC and again, it is just an amazing feeling to have run this thing at all.� The goal now is to do another, after figuring out my ipod issues and doing some hill work, in order to start beating that 47:04 time.



I think I am hooked.




3 comments:

  1. A monster is born! I am so very proud of you and somewhat envious. We will get you up those hills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations darling! I think that's a great time. Considering it would have taken me 6 hours and 5 cocktails to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT JOB!!!

    What a wonderful thing to be hooked on. :)

    ReplyDelete