Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Scoop


So my kids are going to be away for a week!� Found out last night the grandparents want to take them camping from tomorrow until next Wednesday. Easiest first week of summer vaca ever!�� They were actually really good yesterday, though the test is today as they are home alone.� I woke The Genius up to take his meds before I left while The Lawyer kept sleeping, though I am almost certain that the second I closed the front door and left for work, they were racing downstairs to watch television.� I asked them last night if they would allow me quiet mornings during the summer, meaning, that it is an adjustment for me too, so if they would just sleep until 8:30 when I left, it would be helpful.� I could get myself ready without bickering and questions and they actually did it for me today!� Now they are happily numbing their little minds in front of the television until 12:45.



So the scoop on Godspell.� This was my second weird audition in three months time at this theater.� That improv/diction thing really happened.� I was first to audition and my song went well.� Then Mr. Director asked me to walk upstage as he wanted to hear my diction and he said "Complete the sentence, 'you won't believe this but on the way here...'" I talked briefly about being nervous and that performing was easy, but auditioning was hard.� He laughed and agreed and I was finished.� The next person to get up was about high school age (did I mention Mr. Director is a high school drama teacher and I think several of the kids auditioning were his students?) and when asked to do the same exercise she launched into complete improvisation about monsters trying to eat her car on the way to auditions or something.� The next person to get up, I don't think Mr. Director knew, because he told her "Complete the sentence 'you won't believe this but on the way here...' and make me believe it."� Hello? All i got was diction!� Obviously, he realized his mistake with me and corrected it but it didn't really help me.�



We also had a choreography audition which is not my strong suit.� I can learn choreography, but not in minutes.� I didn't do too badly but had some mess ups.� It is what it is.� When we left, he told us all we would hear something in a day or so.� That was Sunday.� Today is Wednesday and I have heard nothing one way or another.� Totally unprofessional in my opinion.� Has he not cast it yet?� Did he cast it but did not cast me and isn't telling me anything?�Did he key my email incorrectly?� (Yes he was going to email us as opposed to calling us.� Again, not really the right thing, imho).�Sure, I could call, but how awkward is that?



I had called Tod on the way home from auditions to vent about the diction thing and he said he hadn't wanted to tell me before because I was excited about auditions, but he knew I wanted back into theater and he knew I wanted my first experience back to be good but he wasn't sure that was going to happen at this theater.� His last two experiences there in the last year had not been good.� I was told by another friend that this theater is having problems hanging onto directors because they keep pissing them off.� It is also not professional to not have an accompanist at auditions, which we did not have.� After considering all this, I briefly wondered if I wanted to be in the show if I was cast (this now seems to be a total non-issue).� After all, I had been in a show once where I went home and cried because it was over...because it had been a horrible experience.� I did not want that situation again.� Most of my shows I have been in have been wonderful experiences thankfully, but being stuck in something in a volunteer capacity for 8 weeks sucks big time.� Unprofessional to quit so you suck it up and deal and count the days until it is over. Not exactly the theater experience of my dreams.



So anyway, there is the scoop.� Some of the kids auditioning were very good.� Some could carry a tune but that was about it.� One forgot the words to his song and sang so softly he could barely be heard.� Mr. Director also didn't read anyone.� Granted, it is an ensemble show, but the role of Jesus is pretty important. Whoever plays that role can make or break the show.� It has to be right.� When I last saw this show at the dinner theater here in town less than a year ago, the guy who played Jesus, who I had known for years as he played the Artful Dodger in "Oliver" as�a kid and I was the milkmaid, was amazing.� He had it all right; his expressions were especially important and he looked like a loving father watching his children as they sang.� It was beautiful to behold and touched me deeply.� So, yeah, I think the role of Jesus deserves a reading.� Though I have no idea who came out to audition on Saturday, on Sunday, I saw no one who could even potentially play that role.� But again, just going off a singing audition, a dance audition and a talk about monsters, tornadoes etc.� Just sayin'.



The kids being away means no getting up at 6:00 this week too!� The reality of that one just hit me!




3 comments:

  1. thank you for finding my blog! love that you have some me time without the kids....so nice to be able to sleep in too. enjoy! i can't wait to sleep in soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a play you want no parts of! I had to laugh though when you mentioned him emailing the result. I just had an interview last week for a better job, but still withing the County. I got the "thanks but no thanks" via email :0 ! I found that strange...should of been a phone call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a play you should have no parts of!! I had to laugh though when you mentioned he may be emailing the results. I had an interview last week for another position within the County. I got the "thanks but no thanks" via email! I found THAT very unprofessional....

    ReplyDelete