Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thursday Thirteen: The Little Shop Edition


Little Shop meaning "Feed me".� I am constantly amazed how since my surgery, my food tastes have changed so much.� Some of my most beloved "bad" foods are now so sickening sweet to me, I wanna gag.� On the other hand, things that used to make me gag, I now love.� So, I am going to attempt to come up with stuff I now love and hopefully will hit that magical 13 number.






  1. Hummus: Would not get near this stuff with a ten foot pole two years ago, but recently tried it again and am now addicted, at least to the garlic flavored one.� I have one with pine nuts in my fridge to try next.



����Brussel Sprouts.� I hated these mini heads of lettuce and had to keep from hurling even if someone near me was eating them.� Now I love them boiled or baked with EVOO and salt and pepper.� I could make a meal off of them.







Cucumbers.� They are now one of my very favorite snacks.


Almonds.� I have never been a huge fan of nuts other than the honey roasted not good for you peanut variety.� But I have now discovered wasabi and soy almonds and they are wonderful.




And speaking of wasabi...omg... love the stuff! That instant taste of heat that immediately fades.� Only time it is painful is on the occasion when it races up my sinus cavity and my whole face goes red!




Multigrain bread.� Bread with any kind of seedy looking stuff in or on it always made me suspect, but now I adore it.� It takes a little of the guilt away from eating bread, knowing it is not white bread that has been bleached.� Anyone else think all our food bleaching and preservatives is a cancer culprit?


Fruit, fruit and more fruit.� I used to eat fruit occasionally; very occasionally.� Now it is a daily occurrence, especially during the summer when I can frequent our local farmer's markets.� When I am craving something sweet, this is almost always what I reach for now.


The other sweet treat I reach for is sugar free gelatin.� I used to hate any of the Watch�it Wiggle stuff and reached for chocolate pudding instead, sugar free or otherwise.� Now the sugar free chocolate pudding is kind of gross to me.�


Beans.� Another favorite snack is a three bean salad.� Never used to touch it and was never a big fan of kidney beans at all.� Now?� Love it.


Jams sweetened with Splenda.� I don't use a lot of this, but sometimes, I just want jam on something, even a wasa cracker with some cheese (cheddar cheese and strawberry jam on a Wasa.� Seriously, try it).� I also use these jams for cooking things like raspberry pork chops or apricot chicken.


Green Tea.� So good for you and so yummy.� I have not yet warmed up to having it cold, but love it hot.


Edamame.� Had never tried the stuff; adore it now.




Am wracking my brain for one more thing...one moreonemoreonemore....OATMEAL!� Whew.� Yes, oatmeal, my breakfast of choice, with some Truvia, cinnamon and a banana.�



*****


�Had a major disagreement with our church lady.� Our copier broke down today and I called the repair guy as we lease it and all of our repairs and supplies are included.� He came up and assessed that we needed a new drum and new developer and he would not be able to have it here till tomorrow.� I called the church lady because she runs the bulletins, and I told her not to come in (YAY me!� A break from the negativity!) and explained why.� I told the pastor what was going on and he reiterated when he had told me a long time and what is just common sense: you don't need a bulletin to have church.� I agree with this statement.� People can come together and worship without paper in their hands.� Told Church Lady this and she freaked; apparently not having a bulletin would make us an "independent church" and "our God is a God of order".� I actually laughed and told her God did not require us to have paper in our hands to worship him.� Then she insisted that it must be "these newer pastors" who felt this way and again, I laughed.� Where does she get these ideas?� I reiterated to her that we were looking at the possibility of not having a bulletin this week, not every week (and only if something goes wrong with repair) and she insisted if the copier didn't work tomorrow, she would go to Staples and run the copies.� Oy.� I am obviously a heathen.



� Church Lady says "Church is all about the paper, not about the heart."



ETA: I am not approving all comments due to the sudden comment spam.� I kept getting stuff from companies wanting to sell slippers or whatnot.� So if your comment does not immediately post, that is why!







 










Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others� comments. It�s easy, and fun!


Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



View More Thursday Thirteen Participants




4 comments:

  1. I LOVE cucumbers and usually eat a whole one in one sitting.

    At our church, the bulletin is given out after mass, so they are not read and left int he pews during the homily.

    No T 13 from me today..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try brussel sprouts again... b/c I can't stand them! HAHA!
    I'm still weird about gelatins as well.. I think it's more a texture thing for me.
    Everything else on your list, I love! :)

    One thing I love post op that I hated before is EGGS! I basically forced myself to start liking them because of our need for protein, and now I love them.. and I'm open to a lot more seafood too. :)

    Great list!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I vote that you get your entire congregation iPads...that way you stop wasting paper on bulletins. Think of it, multi-media sermons...the hymns come up on it like Karaoke lyrics, and you can surf the web if you're bored during the sermon! Heck, an offer like that might just get me to church on a regular basis!

    ReplyDelete