Thursday, January 13, 2011

Feeling Very Sad

I am proud to say that I was a major fan of "Touched by an Angel". Part of the reason was because of this very cute actor who died today.


John Dye, best known as the angel of death Andrew on Touched By an Angel, has died. He was 47.

The actor died Monday from a heart attack in San Francisco, his brother, Jerre Dye, told The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal.

Born in Mississippi, Dye majored in theater at the University of Memphis. He made his film debut in 1984's Making the Grade, which filmed in the Memphis area, before moving to Los Angeles.

In 1995, he landed the role of Andrew on CBS' Touched By an Angel. Originally a recurring role, Dye was promoted to regular by the third season. He remained on the series until its end in 2003.

"Dear, sweet John Dye, rest in peace," Angel co-star Valerie Bertinelli tweeted.

Dye's other credits include guest spots on Murder, She Wrote and Promised Land, and the films Modern Girls, The Perfect Weapon and Sioux City. His last role was in 2007's Fist of the Warrior.








I am more upset about this than I even want to admit.  He was only three years older than I am!  So, I am rather shocked and a bit grieving over this celebrity I never knew but who came into my home once a week and often times made me cry. 


Okay, in other news, there is still crap going on at the old church as I got the scoop from a very good friend today.  Apparently on Sunday, Pastor Extraordinaire decided to not give the council any notice about installing them during the second service.  He sprung this on the young man who beat out the evil VP at the end of the contemporary service.  When the kids (aka, teens) asked him when during the service he was going to do this, he told them it would be after the sermon.  Now, that is over halfway through the service and these kids had already sat through their normally attended service.  My friend argued with him, as the kids were planning to go to lunch together before several of them had to go to work,but the pastor did not want to budge.  They tried to get him to move the installation to the beginning of the service but he didn't want to do that.  My friend said, "Pastor, we've already been to our church service."  He replied, "It won't kill you to sit through another one and some people don't consider the first service a real service."

Hello?  So the contemporary service is not a real service.  Now, the people who have the opinion that it is not a real service are the majority of the "Bible Study", but that isn't even the problem.  He never should have said that!  My friend is writing a letter to the council addressing this.  Beings The Puppet Master is still on council, he will certainly carry what is said in the letter back to the "Bible Study".  I warned my friend that he was going to have people upset with him and he told me, "Kim, they can bring it.  I don't care.  I am so over this pastor."  So stay tuned....


I went to the praise band rehearsal last night and got there right about the time they were doing communion (There is a Wednesday night contemporary service at 7:00 and the praise band rehearses when it is over.).  I slipped in the back and took a chair up against the wall.  Not many people were there, but as I looked up, I saw my pastor beckoning to me.  Getting up, I walked to the front and he gave me communion saying, "You're never too late, Kim."  My heart warmed. 

Going back to my seat, a lady who is severely mentally disabled motioned for me to come to her and not wanting her to cause a scene, I went to her.  She hugged me and kissed my cheek and I took a seat behind her.  As the praise band played the last song which had to do with marching, this lady really wanted to march!  Her caregiver was trying to keep her in the aisle and the pastor came up and took the woman's hand, assuring her caregiver that it was okay.  He then marched with her once around the sanctuary.

This is the difference between a pastor who is present in the moment and in the lives of his parishioners and one who is just going through the motions. 

Praise Band rehearsal went well and at the end of it, Kim, the music director approached me and asked me what my schedule was like as she would like to do lunch and get to know me and find out a little about my faith journey.  Really?  No one at the old church gave a rat's ass about my faith journey or lack of it at the time all the crap went down.  The differences between these two churches is amazing and I am so glad God led me to this one.

Finally hit the gym today and ran three mile increments (walk a minute, run a minute, constantly increasing the run speed).  It was rough after the two weeks of the sinus infection but I did it.  Go me.

5 comments:

  1. I too am often caught more off guard than I expect to be by the passing of a celebrity. I don't pretend that the depth of loss I feel is anywhere near what their family and close friends must be feeling, but it's still a loss never the less.

    I'm glad you're new church is fulfilling you. It's nice to hear the good stories mixed in with the stuff about the old church.

    Go with the working out! I need to get back into that. My pants are getting tight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey folks, it's me again Jim, Not Mike. I just want to take a second to say, "Happy Birthday to Me!" and to invite all of you to share in my birthday present to myself.

    Please join me at: http://jimnotmike.blogspot.com/

    Now, I know it may not be everyones cup of tea and that's ok. I learned a long time ago that the entire world isn't ready for Jim, Not Mike. But for those of you who are, I welcome you to my new blog and hope I don't bore you terribly. All I can promise is that I'll try to keep it updated as often as I can. I welcome your visit and your responses to my posts...and presents, presents would be a good thing for a birthday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thrilled for you Kim...that your spirituality is finally in place where it is being nourished!

    Huzzah, Huzzah!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow to everything about both churches. Wow that the old pastor said contemp service isn't real and wouldn't budge and wow that the new pastor is so supportive. It sounds like you were lead there for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every moment during my day the sad news goes back to my mind and I feel my heart being flooded with anguish and sadness. I'm surprised at how deeply sad his passing makes me, and he was not my relative or someone I knew. But I guess it's exactly because I've followed his work for so long that I feel like he was somewhat close to me. Everything still sounds like a horrible nightmare to me.

    ReplyDelete