Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Drench Your Skin in Words Unspoken; Live Your Life With Arms Wide Open


 I actually ran 1.5 miles today...the day AFTER kickboxing!  

I cannot stress enough how hard it is. I in no way find it easy.  Running is hard work and I am not even running that far yet.  I start and by the time I have done .15 of a mile, I am convinced I am insane and that maybe I smoked a little too much in my twenties because my brain cells are surely fried.  By the time I have hit half a mile, I am pep talking myself:

"Only a mile left.  Only a mile."

Then when I hit .75, I am praying for the freakin' finish line.  The sweat is pouring down my face and dripping from the inside crook of my arms and I am thinking death would be welcome right about now.  Then magic happens when I hit the mile.  Suddenly it is all doable.  I know I will make the mile and a half and despite the sweat and the ache in my knees, I am almost bursting with excitement and feeling an incredible sense of accomplishment.  Amazingly enough, once I hit the mile and a half, it does not take my breathing long to even out...not much more than a minute.  I just slow the pace to a walk and recovery comes quickly.  If running is something you ever wished to do, I say try it.  Start slowly, like with the Cool Running program you can find on the internet.  It starts you out so slowly...like thirty second runs...which are HARD when you have never run before.  I remember those minute runs that almost killed me and now it floors my ass that I am running a mile and a half.  Pinch me.  It is still so hard for me to believe.

And while I am talking about running, I have decided that if I ever run my first 5K, I want to celebrate with something like this, minus the latin:

 I love it.  This foot actually belongs to Denise.  I saw it on her blog and fell in love.  I have been wanting another tat but had no idea what to get or where to put it.  This feels perfect...though the pain of having one done on a boney foot causes me a little pause.

From the treadmill, I did my medicine ball crunches and then did some free weight arm work.  Food was much better for me today too.  Kickin'. 

Tomorrow, lunch with Leisl...sushi!  Then a cross training workout at the Y.  We're almost to Friday, kids!  What is your weekend looking like?





No comments:

Post a Comment