Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Grueling Second Mile


Not sure if I will ready to advance to above two miles by Friday's run or not.  I knew today would be tough because of Jack's class last night and I was right.  The first mile was pretty good; it had its rough moments, but all in all, not too shabby.  The second mile however was draining.  I have been playing with the speed and ran the first mile at a 4.0, where my usual runs until now were about a 3.8.  At times, I up the speed to a 4.4.  The second mile at a 4.4, my right knee began to play up almost immediately.  I backed the speed to 3.9 and gradually worked back up again to the 4.4 and was more successful the second time. 

I still think today's issue were from not even having a full twenty-four hours to recover from kickboxing.  That class is pretty physical and grieves my knees a bit too.  So, we'll see what Friday holds.  Oh and did not have a headache when I finished my run today...but I have one now.  Go figure.  I just keep sucking down water to try to remedy it.

Food is still somewhat of an issue for me.  At work, I am constantly wanting to nibble.  It may be because I am behind a desk and by myself most of the time.  I am a social and now physical creature and having to remain at a desk in solitary to an extent spurs me to want to eat.  Once I am home, the story changes.  I have things to do that require motion, ergo, my mind is no longer wanting food.  So what is the solution?  Not sure yet.  I try to pack healthy snacks but still feel as if I am eating too many of them.  The oatmeal for breakfast doesn't stay with me very long but it is keeping me..well, regular, if you know what I mean, so I hate to give it up as it is doing what I need for it to do in order to avoid pain.  So I eat that around 8:00ish and by 9:30 I am looking for a snack.  I try to dissect if it is true hunger or head hunger and that is fine line; fine enough that I have not yet figured it out.  I do think I need to revamp my snacks for something more satisfying that will keep me satiated longer.

I also need to research the best thing to eat after a run.  I am wanting food by the time I am home and I know my body needs to refuel a little.  But as I am trying to create a calorie deficit, by calories in, calories out, I can't be continually loading up on empty calories.

So, it looks like I need to get going.  I have homework to do and I'll let you know what I find.  Might even make Thursday Thirteen, the Food Edition.



2 comments:

  1. don't push it too hard too fast..you will know when it's time to up the mileage. Good job picking up the pace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are doing GREAT!! What are you using to track your speed?

    ReplyDelete