Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's All A Big Mind Game


I am starting to think that running is way more mental than physical and that thought really blows me away.� For three weeks, I have not been able to go over two miles and I was beginning to get frustrated.� So today, I showed up at the gym, with a bandana around my head to catch sweat and my new over the ear earbuds in my ear and as I was getting ready to get started on the treadmill, Jerry came up to ask me how things were going.� I lamented to him about my failure to run over two miles and he asked for details; how fast I was running, how often, etc.� I told him how I would play with the speed to try to make the two miles hit sooner.� He suggested slowing it down a little today and keeping the speed consistent to try to break through the two mile barrier.� I agreed to give it a go.



Just over a mile into it, I wanted to quit; knew I would never be able to break the two miles.� Then only about two dozen times after that I wanted to stop.� But all of a sudden I was at two miles and something clicked between my body and my mind.� No, it didn't suddenly get easier and I did stop at 2.25 miles, but it felt like my breathing was suddenly easier and my knees weren't killing me and I PASSED THE TWO MILE MARK!� Wow.� I think it was a mental block; my mind telling my body what it could not do and I have to find ways to stop listening to it, because it lies.� I could run more than two miles and today proved it.� So thank you to Jerry who pushed me through it without even knowing it probably as he left not too long into my run with a "Let me know how it goes."



And can I tell you that I feel like The Beast with a bandana around my head at the gym!� Like Towanda or something.� I liked it and it kept the sweat out of my eyes.� And the new earbuds stayed in my ears for the whole run too.� Today was a good day.� Finished up with a kettlebell workout and crunches.



Tonight movie with kids and then kids to grandma's for a few days!




1 comment: