Thursday, April 22, 2010

Annapolis or Bust and Thursday 13


So today was the Annapolis trip and it had a rough-ish start for me.� Nothing major, just reminders that my mind is indeed 43.� Case in point, mixing up my Crystal Lite water and then leaving it sit on the kitchen counter.� Or grabbing an issue of Runner's World to read on the bus and grabbing the issue I had already read instead of the new one.� Stupid stuff.



But we got there and my group of five kids was paired off with another woman's group of four kids.� Now these field trips are kind of frenzied in my opinion, but it is the nature of the beast.� Two hour bus ride so we arrived in the state capitol at 10:30 and we have until 12:15 to do any of the following things:



Tour the Naval Academy

Tour the State House

Shop

Have ice cream



Like nine 4th graders can decide to do only one thing and do it well.� Just san'.� So we headed for the Academy, gave it a lick and a promise to do it better one day and spent a good twenty minutes in the gift shop.� My purchase?� A water bottle.� JJ's purchase? Freeze dried ice cream.



Then we bust to moved to the State House.� The kids learned nothing as we had to be quiet and keeping nine 4th graders focused is like herding chickens.� Had a lot of trouble keeping their volume down, so we got out of there pretty fast.



A word about my co-chaperone, who was another parent.� Rather useless.� We were told our two groups had to stay together, so she is mapping out where her group wants to go, ignoring my group and then she just takes off with her four kids.� I roll my eyes, and herd my peeps to keep up with her as we go to the Naval Academy...and she gets lost getting there.� So I take over, follow the signs and get us to the Visitor's Center.� Once inside, she and her kids keep wandering off, even though her kids were longing to get to the gift shop.� We had already viewed the exhibits once and she was trying to get them through again.



Then she gets lost on the way to the State House, so again, I take over, ask directions and lead the way.� She is letting her kids run all over the grass at the State House, which is blocked off, and I am insisting they get back on the walk way.� Seriously?� We get to the front of the State House and she starts moaning because there are a lot of steep steps, so as I was about done with her, I raced the kids up and we all laughed and had a good time, while waiting for her and one other boy, which I will talk about in a minute.



So we get out of the State House and chicky babe again takes the lead and gets us lost.� So I ask directions from a lady and get us back down to the harbor and to the ice cream shop. One little girl only had two dollars to spend which would not even get her an ice cream cone, so I covered her.� The kids and chicky babe all got ice cream and I got the guy working to fill up my water bottle.�� YAY water!



From there another gift shop and then it was lunch time at the docks.







Ohhhh...pretty.







Me trying to take a pic of JJ and myself.



After eating, it was board the boat for a 40 minute boat ride, which for the kids was less about the history and more about the snack bar, but it was relaxing and the weather was awesome.� At the end of the tour, they played line dancing music and JJ's teacher boogied down with her students.







To be young and that cute.



Then when we left Annapolis, we apparently took a wrong turn because we wound up going over the Bay Bridge and then having to come back and cross it again.� I think our driver was distracted by all the noise on the bus.



One kid today ripped my heart out.� Ten years old, easily 160 pounds.� He was always in the back of the pack and judging by his lunch, his parents have no idea about nutrition, or can't afford to know much about it.� Though the kid was dressed well, he had a LARGE bag of sour cream and onion chips to go along with his lunch and he polished it off.� Not sure what else he had as I had other kids vying for my attention, but I just felt so bad for him.� Been there, done that, though he was far heavier than I was at that age.� Just wish I could start a revolution here for elementary school kids.� With any luck, this kid will have a major growth spurt and even out some, but I dunno.� Sometimes I just wish I could help.



But all in all, a good day.� Now, bring on Friday!



I don't want to forget Thursday 13, so today, I was thankful for these 13 things:



 



  1. Great weather.� Not too hot, not too cold.� Just right.

  2. Getting to watch JJ interact with his friends.� Too cute.

  3. For the little girl who told JJ "Your mom looks cute."� Way better than looking old!

  4. For having a rapport with the kids.

  5. For JJ's teacher, who can really engage the kids.

  6. For being able to race up the steps to the Capitol

  7. For the amazing boat ride

  8. For knowing I could have bought a Navy t-shirt and could have found one to fit...but I was not going to spend $17.95.

  9. For a safe journey to and from Annapolis

  10. For a new water bottle and for now being such a stickler for water that not having one was simply not acceptable!

  11. For my crockpot which had dinner ready when we got home

  12. For peace and quiet at this very minute

  13. For tomorrow being Friday and a fun filled weekend planned!


If you want to play Thursday 13, you can join us here!






 





No comments:

Post a Comment