Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Don't Ever Think I Have it All Together


I love the idea of inspiring people, but never think for a moment that I don't know how difficult any weight loss or health journey is...and most people will not start it with weight loss surgery like I did.� That was my answer and for me it was the right one, but answers are different for everyone.�



But I have learned a few things about the benefits of exercise and eating well most of the time.� I try�to never take one day of this journey for granted.� On days like today, when exercise feels really hard, I do it anyway, mostly for my own benefit but also so that when I blog about it, you all know that I know it is not easy.� I never want to pretend that I find it easy, but in some small way, I do hope to occasionally inspire someone to not give up, to make a positive change, to put themselves�first.�



See, I get it.� I mean, I really and truly get it.� When I see someone struggling with weight my heart aches because I have been there.� Hell, I am still there!� It doesn't go away and I may never see the number I want to see on my scale, but I do think I have taken control of my health.� So though by the world's standards, I still have�a weight problem, my health is so much better because of exercise more than anything.� So when my heart aches for those struggling, I always hope to say that one little thing that may click in someone's brain.� One little thing that may make someone say, "You know what?� I can do something.� I can take a walk, I can join a gym, I can�take time to plan some meals."� Whatever that something may be that someone needs to work on.�



But never think I am sitting here thinking "Yeah, I got it all figured out.� Listen to me."� Because I don't and I hope I never come across that way.� I just want people to know that I get it.� I get that it's hard...to exercise when you aren't used to it, to exercise when it feels like you have no free time in a busy schedule, to cook healthy when you hate to cook, to decipher what is truly healthy in a grocery store full of lies.� I get it and I struggle with all these things on a daily basis.� But what I have figured out is that all those things are so, so worth the effort.� It is worth it, I promise you, to find an hour in your day to exercise.� Go for a walk at lunch (free!), buy a walking DVD ($20), ride a bike, play ball with your kids, walk your dogs.� A gym membership is not a requirement and they are expensive, especially when you are busy and have to try to plan a workout around their hours of operation.� But exercise does not mean a gym, though it can but so not a prerequisite.� Just do something.� Anything.� What I promise you will find after a short period of time is that you overall feel better.� That you have more energy during the day.� That you sleep better at night.� that mornings are not unbearable because you so cannot drag yourself out of bed.� It is worth it. YOU ARE WORTH IT.�



I had a very similar situation with cigarettes.� I loved smoking.� Holy crap, LOVED IT!� It was my comfort zone, my stress reducer, my relaxing activity.� But when I decided that attempting to be a runner and smoking just are a conflict of interests, I gave it all up.� Did I miss it?� Hell yeah.� But let me tell you something...I feel so much better for no longer doing it.� My taste buds work better, my sense of smell is more acute, I don't gasp for air after walking up a flight of steps.� Again, it was hard but worth it.� I WAS WORTH IT.



Find your worth.� It is what I most want for all of you.� And if I, in my messy, trying to figure it all out way, can in some small way inspire you once and awhile, I will be a very happy camper.� I just want to pay it forward because people supported me in my journey and continue to support me.



I support you.� YOU ARE WORTH IT.




No comments:

Post a Comment