Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The One Where He Charged the $91


So as many of you know, my oldest adopted son has ADHD, which is challenging.� Being on Adderall, his appetite tends to be suppressed in the middle of the day, so he rarely eats lunch at home.� Now, the kids are permitted by us to buy their lunch at school two days a week and they can check out the menu and decide which two days they want to buy.� The other three days, I would pack them and I make the effort to buy things they like for in their lunch.�



So about three months ago, I got an email from Aarons's teacher, stating he was finding Aaron's packed lunches stuffed behind the filing cabinet in his classroom.� So, Aaron, myself and his therapist discussed it and came to the decision that we would continue to put money on his lunch account for him to buy twice a week but if he wanted a bagged lunch the other three days, he had to pack it himself and he agreed.



Fast forward to last Thursday.� The kids are at grandma's and I get a bill from the high school cafeteria for NINETY-ONE DOLLARS.� The school had given a 14 year old kid almost $100 worth of credit for lunch!� Can you believe it??� So after a long discussion with Aaron about finding a way to pay off his bill, I called the school today.� When finally transferred to the right person, I questioned how the school enabled my son to have almost $100 worth of credit and he responded with...wait for it...."We feed our children here..."



Okay, my next words were not sweet, but he got a bit of an ass chewing about how I also feed my children but when they are stuffing their lunches behind a filing cabinet in a classroom and then purchasing lunch when the rules have been established by his parents and he is aware of them, that the last thing I need is the school helping him to do as he pleases.� The dude backed off pretty quickly and then his attitude turned around to "What can I do to help?"� So now Aaron has no credit.� The rule is simple: no money on his account, no purchase.� Period.� What I really cannot believe is that they allowed it to get to that amount before letting me know!� Sheesh.� C'mon schools...work with the parents here!� There is often a method or reason for what we do, so if you have a question, freakin' ask!



So there you have the latest saga.� Kickboxed tonight...running tomorrow!




2 comments:

  1. WHATTT?!?!? Are you kidding? Cannot believe lunches are being stuffed behind a filing cabinet as opposed to being thrown out if not eaten...but REALLY can't believe a school giving a kid credit...or saying that to you! Can't imagine how I would have reacted...whew....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. WOW. I can see where letting a kid charge a meal or two is necessary. But back-charging a parent to the tune of 91.00 goes way beyond "We feed our children." It's a bit closer to "We enable your children to manage your money without your knowledge." Glad you set him straight.

    ReplyDelete