Sunday, February 24, 2008

I Wish Everyday Was Sunday...


NOT!

I am not a big fan of the Sunday.  Somehow on Sundays, an evil spell seems to be cast over my house that makes men behave like...well, men!  The kids are either bickering or yelling at each other, and the Brit is just in an all out pissed off mood of unknown origin.  I don't know if it is because we get up early for church, or because he has to go back to work the next day or if it because he misses work.  Or maybe Sunday tv sucks, I have no idea.  I just know that more often than not on a Sunday, he is grouchy, growl-y and often times loud.  My sister in law, Gina, says that the Brit's brother is the exact same way on a Sunday so it perhaps some weird British gene they are born with that is caused by far too much tea being consumed by pregnant mamas. 

All I know is that something goes sadly amiss and that as much as I am not in a hurry to start a new week, it is often an actual relief to lie down on a Sunday night and sleep until Monday where the adults go to work and the kids go to school.  Then we start counting down the days till Friday because Friday nights and Saturdays are generally really good days.  There is just something about those dreaded Sundays!  Maybe it's the gnomes that CAP is always talking about.  Do gnomes cast nasty Sunday spells?

Right now, it is quiet.  The kids are in bed and the Brit is upstairs watching television.  No one is shouting nor bellowing, nor complaining about noise and tomorrow they will all be fairly normal again.  It's just so strange!  What is it about this day?  It never rotates!  The Saturdays are never weird.  Just the Sundays.  I open my eyes on Sunday mornings and just start anticipating when it will begin, because it doesn't always begin immediately, though today, it kind of did. 

I always wake the Brit up at 7:00 on Sundays because I have to be at church to rehearse at 7:30 and I wake him up before I go downstairs.  He has been attending church with me for over four years and this has always been the routine.  I wake him up this morning, tell him it is 7:00 and he says "Why so early?"

Ut oh.

It's a sign.  The gnomes must have snuck in while I was in the shower and sprinkled him with their Sunday dust.  It is often times slow to work, but the signs are already there.  I walk by Aaron's room, and he is sitting on the floor with his ipod headset in his ears.  I am trying to be quiet to not wake JJ because it is too late for him to get ready in order to go early with me (for some reason Aaron lives to go early with me...another weird Sunday thing).  Aaron looks at me, ipod blaring so I can hear it despite the fact that all sound is in his ears and says, "GOOD MORNING!"

Yeah, Jarrit isn't asleep much longer.

Then it calms a bit, until halfway through church.  The Brit runs the powerpoint projector which projects the words to our songs on the screen.  I simply copy and paste each of the songs during the week from a computer file that contains all the songs to a file marked for the upcoming Sunday.  The only hitch in the plan is that on occasion, Paula, our friend and the music director, sometimes changes the arrangement of a song.  She'll find a copy in a better key or a simpler arrangement and I don't always realize it is a new arrangement in front of me.  This can cause the words in the file to not be correct, if they are different in the new arrangement.  So, this can go one of two ways.

In the early days of the Brit doing this, when it would happen, he would narrow his eyes and glare at me.  Mind you, I am standing up front, microphone in hand, singing, so the glaring, doesn't really do a lot to remedy the problem.

The other, now more frequent alternative is he rolls his eyes and tries to find the correct lyrics within the file somewhere.  I make a mental note to correct the song in the orginal file on Monday morning so that the problem doesn't happen again.  It is really the best possible outcome.

But today, it was the narrow eyed glare.  Damn gnomes.  What have you done with my nice husband?

And things went downhill from there.

Hopefully this week will bring me a surgery date and a Brit approval.  That's what I'm shooting for.  Then looking forward to next weekend...except Sunday and now you know why.



No comments:

Post a Comment