Thursday, February 28, 2008

Annoyed and a day off!


I have Google mail and iGoogle comes with it.  One of the things you can do with iGoggle is to set it up to look for certain things each day.  For example, mine looks for not only gastric bypass surgery and WLS, but also Christian fiction, NaNoWriMo, Christian writers and urban legends amongst other things of interest to me.  I generally love this feature unless it happens to pick up something written by this psychopath, Fat Acceptance blogger who is so freakin' opinionated, I want to gash my eyes out with an ice pic for ever reading her. 

I'll hit the link innocently and then be directed to one of her *ahem* MANY blogs, and from there it is like watching a car accident where I can't look away until I read what ridiculous drivel she has spewing out of her fingers today. 

Now let me clear something up.  I have not one issue with the whole Fat Acceptance (FA) movement.  I don't.  I get it totally.  I am someone who will accept anyone at any size and I think everyone should do that and that no one should be judged on how they look. With that being said, I am getting WLS because I am not happy with my own quality of life due to extra weight.  I would not push this surgery on anyone.  Are there people who would benefit from the surgery.  Probably yes, but the decision is extremely personal as it should be.  So, just to recap, this is not a post bashing those into FA.  Not at all.

What I would like to know however, is why some of the FA people think it is okay to bash those of us who have had or are getting WLS?  The impression I get from reading this woman's opinionated self-indulgant crap is that she think we are all uneducated on the surgery and uninformed.  She believes that anyone who gets this surgery simply knows one friend, who had the surgery no more than two years ago, and that friend was a success, so our research stopped there. Well, other than watching Big Medicine of course, (because none us read.  We just talk to a person, watch television and then make a life altering decision) where all the stories have happy endings.  How stupid does she think the rest of the world is? 

Her latest bunch of hogwash is that there is a hospital that has an entire floor dedicated to WLS patients gone bad and for some reason not stated on her blog, that floor is apparently the hardest floor to work on within the hospital; much worse than the neuro ICU.  My first thought when reading this, which was later a validated thought by Kim, was "Dang, someone better find out what surgeons in that area are doing wrong!"  But again, the writer does not go into what is wrong with these people, though she does rattle on about people who can't stop losing weight or who have neuropathy as a result of the surgery (which you can get from getting diabetes as a result of being obese as many of our patients had when I worked for the podiatrist). I'd really like some details such as where this hospital is, how many patients are there as a direct result of WLS and why it is such a difficult floor to work on.  She seems to have not answered any of those obvious questions, but instead used this story as a platform to again state her own narrow minded opinions about how retarded those of are who want WLS. 

I can further blow open her theory as of the two people I know who have had WLS, one is ten years out and doing beautifully and the other is around five years out and also doing very well with no complaints nor health issues.  Do I know people two years out?  Sure on the internet.  I know people on the net who are only a few months out!  But this chick should head to some of the WLS message boards and poll those folks, who are years and years out.  But then again, if she did that, she would have trouble writing within her own little world of denial. 

Oh and I purposefully didn't put her link to the article here because I don't want to give her any attention.  She really doesn't deserve it.

Hey, no blogging tomorrow!  It is our one day off this year from Blog 365, so don't check for me!  See you on Saturday!



No comments:

Post a Comment