Monday, February 11, 2008

Why is it....


...that there are people out there who are so against gastric bypass that they will attack and throw out facts and become nearly hostile at the thought of someone else having it done?  

I'm not talking about anyone I know personally but am looking at the internet in general.  One woman said the following:

"RNY doesn't cure anything and causes a lot more problems than it "cures". The inventor of the RNY stated in 1980, after CAREFULLY following his patients for 15 years, that he felt the risks outweighed the benefits and he advocated that instead of cutting the stomach into two pieces and the gut into three pieces and sticking it back together in a very unnatural manner as done in the RNY, that surgeons are best to do types of surgery (like the lap band) which do NOT destroy the natural process of digestion."

Now, I don't know how much of this is true or if any of it is (though I am asking the questions of those "in the know").  This same person goes onto say in another forum:

Nurses who have worked with post ops in the hospital have many horror stories to tell. What Carnie Wilson calls "a bit of soreness after surgery" is excrutiating pain requiring morphene. Nurses have witnessed patients stay in the hospital for months after surgery and they have eased patients through parentinitis and being close to death. One surgeon who was described by one of his patients as a "saint" tells the nurses on his post op floor that because his WLS post ops are so large and the nurses might hurt their backs in lifting them, if one of these falls to the floor, leave them lying on the floor and call the paramedics. Some saint.


And a nurse friend of mine who worked ER for many years said that he saw WLS post ops come into the emergency room quite often with rather scary and painful complaints.

All of which we never read about in the popular media.

Criminal? Yes! Indeed.

Now, I'm not going to begin to point out the things that I find wrong with just this segment...oh wait, what the hell, yes, I will point out one thing.  As I have been following a handful of post-ops, not a one of them talked about "excrutiating pain requiring morphene"  (and yes, I know she has a few spelling issues).  Do they make you comfortable after surgery?  I'm sure they do, but I've read and talked to MANY people who stopped taking pain meds the next day.  So c'mon, if we're going to talk about it, give us the whole story and not just the first five minutes after surgery.  After all, post-ops do have 4-5 incisions and I'm sure they can be painful.  I've had papercuts that can make me curse like a sailor, so I'm sure incisions are more painful.

But anyway, I digress.  What I don't get is why these folks care so much.  I can totally respect their stance of size acceptance.  I accept people regardless of their size, but I guess I expect a bit more from myself when it comes to my own weight.  So, are these people just trying to save us all from our horrible wanting WLS selves?  The way I see it is, accept yourselves and your neighbors and even swear off WLS for yourself, but is there a reason to ridicule and belittle those who choose a different path?  This is the part I don't understand.  We're all different.  We all think differently and see things differently and what may be right for one may be totally wrong for another.  These are things that I was taught from a early age, so why do we continue to beat one another up for simply doing something else?



 



No comments:

Post a Comment