Sunday, November 12, 2006

Do I hav'ta?


It has been a busy Sunday and I am way not wanting to blog, but with it nearly being mid-month, I can't give in now. 



I found myself getting rather irritated today with two women at my church.  We had a meeting this afternoon to discuss a children's Christmas program as well as to discuss the fate of Kid's Club (KC).  KC is on Thursday nights and it was once every Thursday night, but after the split in the church, many of the kids left with their parents.  Paula and I felt determined that our church fail at nothing (because the folks that left felt we were destined to fail) so we picked up that ministry and have continued to try to keep it afloat.  Well, a year later, enthusiasm has waned and we can average anywhere from one child on a Thursday to five or six max.  Basically, it is simply not worth it at the present time.  The need is no longer there and not to say it won't be one day in the future but for now, it needs to fold by the first of the new year.



One woman in the meeting, who always has "suggestions" for how other people should do things, but never wants to volunteer to do anything herself, addresses Paula and I by saying, "Well, I know you two don't want to give up your Sunday nights, but I just think that KC would do much better at that time and I have someone who would even go and pick kids up that night."



She was right on one account; neither Paula nor myself want to give up our Sunday nights.  With both of us being church employees, (though KC is not something we get paid for) we are there more than anyone else in the congregation.  I, personally, am there Monday through Friday, Thursday nights and Sunday mornings.  I love my church, but giving more is just not an option right now.  And of course, this woman wants to throw it on us as if to say that the reason KC is not doing well  is OUR fault because of the day and time (Though even before the split when Paula and I were not involved with KC, it was still on Thursdays).  The double whammy on this is that this woman, does not want to volunteer her time unless the time suits her. 



Thankfully, our wonderful interim pastor jumped in very diplomatically, commenting on how you can't burn out the handful of people who are carrying a lot of the load.  (Though it was a much longer speech and much more eloquent than that).  



 After the meeting, this woman trapped the pastor in the nursery (Surely to complain about something) but I couldn't be bothered to care all that much.  I'm very relieved that KC will be folding at the end of the year, because it was never really my thing.  I work there, sing on the praise team, attend Sunday School, run the library and am a part of the Prayer Shawl Ministry.  For now, it's enough.  After all, I still have a family at home and kids, and other things and people that I want to be involved with outside of church.  And for this woman to basically say "I'll help if you do it my way" is crap.



   But I'm over it now.  Pastor is going to put something out in the newsletter that if anyone feels led to start up something for the younger kids to come forward.  I truly hope someone does.  I just know it isn't gonna be me.




No comments:

Post a Comment