Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Giving thanks


I think the season has officially opened as they lit the decorations downtown on Monday night:



It's a little blurry...I was trying to drive at the same time while coming home from the Thanksgiving service at church tonight. 

I had a very happy surprise today!  I was cleaning up the computer at the church (the former secretary never got rid of ANY files and I have been cleaning up that machine for nearly a year now) when I found a file for the employee handbook.  Beings I am a member of my church and we are pretty laid back, I have never had any need to read it, but for some reason today I had a little look-see.  What I found under Paid Holidays was "Thanksgiving and the day after"! Whoo Hoo!  So glad I looked or I would have been there on Friday!  Three days of no alarm clock!  I'm also thinking the boys are going to go visit grandparents on Friday, so I'll have all day to decorate!

Our absolutely delightful interim pastor (I think I will cry when he goes back into retirement after the first of the year) sang to the kids last Sunday for the Chat with the Children while accompanying himself on his guitar, The Turkey Song.  I had never heard it before, but I just loved it:

If God can love TURKEYS,
God can love you... ;
You are a TURKEY,
but I am one too;
So if you're lonely (waaaaaaaooooooooooooo)
or...., if you're blue (wa,aaaa,aaa, oooooooooooo)
just remember friend,
if God can love TURKEYS ... (and surely he can!)
God can Love You!!!

He's such a hoot.  He has taken the time to do many different songs with the kids, but our favorite will always be the sheep song:

I Just Want To Be A Sheep

I just wanna be a sheep (baa, baa, baa, baa, baa)
I just wanna be a sheep (baa, baa, baa, baa, baa)
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
I just wanna be a sheep (baa, baa, baa, baa, baa)


I don't wanna be a Pharisee.
I don't wanna be a Pharisee.
I don't wanna be a Pharisee.
'Cuz they're not fair, ya' see.

I don't wanna be a Sadducee.
I don't wanna be a Sadducee.
I don't wanna be a Sadducee.
'Cuz they're so sad, you see.

I don't wanna be a hypocrite.
I don't wanna be a hypocrite.
I don't wanna be a hypocrite.
'Cuz they're not hip with it.

I don't wanna be a goat, nope.
I don't wanna be a goat, nope.
I don't wanna be a goat, nope.
'Cuz they've got no hope, nope.

The thing about this interim pastor is that not only is he a wonderful pastor, he's one of the best men I have ever known.  He just knows how to relate to people and he knows how to make people feel good about themselves.  He has this amazing sense of humor and is just so laid back.  One of the first things he told us about himself is that every night before he says his prayers, he makes up a joke to tell God.  He explained that in the same way, parents get a kick out of their children telling them a joke, God must surely feel the same way about us. 

We have been so blessed to have this man in our midst for the last nine months (I can't believe it's been that long!) but for me, he is just tangible proof of God's love for us.  I am very thankful tonight for both this pastor and a God that is good...all the time.

Wishing all of you a safe and happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.  Regardless of what your religious or spiritual beliefs are, take the time to name aloud the things in your life you are thankful for.



No comments:

Post a Comment