Monday, April 28, 2008

Keeping up with the Jones'


I didn't have too much trouble getting back into the swing of work today, thankfully.  Of course, compared to many, I have it easy as I only work 4 hours a day (in an office.  Then I have the rest of the day as a mom).  But on my first day back, a half an hour before I was due to get off work, Aaron's school nurse called to inform me that Aaron had an upset stomach.  So, I explained that I got off work in a half hour and would then pick him up.

I picked him up and he was a little green around the gills, so I took him home and gave him some Pepto and sent him on up to bed.  Ten minutes later, he was back requesting food, which I thought was odd and I told him that if he had thrown up at school, food was not a real good idea.  But he persisted, so I relented and offered him toast, which he ate and then he asked to go upstairs and watch television.  

All was quiet then until five minutes after he would have gotten home on the bus, when he came back down the stairs, completely dressed and announced that he felt much better and could he go outside.  He was then not all that happy with me when I explained that as he had come home sick, he could not now go outside now that school was over.  He was a wee bit disgruntled, but went back upstairs.  

An hour later, he is back downstairs, weakly asking me for more Pepto, and I explained it was too soon to have more.  By this time, I am confused as to what the deal is but he is not offering any answers, which is the norm for him.  Back up the stairs he goes.  JJ gets home and he and Lilah (the little girl across the road) are working on building a shelter for Allie, the stray cat that has been hanging out with them (literally hanging out with them.  If they are on the trampoline, Allie is on the trampoline, etc).  Lilah has to go out with her parents, so JJ comes in, chattering away about Allie and the new shelter.  I say to him, "You keep calling Allie a her.  How do you know?"  I ask this because Allie is a good size cat and more resembles a tomcat to me.  Without missing a beat, JJ replies, "She is a girl, mom.  She has no ball sack."

That teaches me to ask questions.

Beings the Brit has a meeting tonight, I fix eggs for the kids and I. Aaron comes downstairs, eager to eat, but takes one bite of his egg and tells me he doesn't think his stomach can handle it, so I suggest he try to eat the toast.  Before I know it, not only the toast has been eaten but the eggs too.

Some days I'm just not sure of how to keep up.



No comments:

Post a Comment