Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Mixed Bag of WLS Emotions Today


So today has been interesting.  After a night of insomnia and then finally getting a few hours of good sleep after JJ left for school, the Brit and I headed back to Hopkins.  He had his anesthesia appointment and I had my surgical follow up with the nurse practitioner.

I'd had yogurt at 8:00 this morning while JJ was getting ready for school, and then I overslept a bit after that, so I had to rush to get ready to leave for Hopkins.  So, I grabbed a bottle of water and quickly mixed up a protein drink for the road; the same protein drink I'd had twice yesterday.  

We left and I sipped on it a bit and then about twenty miles away from home, I started having pain in my left side that quickly worked its way the whole way around me to my abdomen and back.  I could not get comfortable, my mouth got dry and a cold layer sweat was beading my forehead.  I thought surely my pouch had a leak and that judging by the way I was feeling, I may die before getting to Baltimore.  The Brit was worried, but I underplayed it a bit and when he stopped for gas, I got out and stood outside the car taking in deep breaths so I wouldn't barf.  By the time I got back in the car, it was all subsiding, and ten miles later, I felt really good again.

After talking with the nurse, Pat, it seems, I have experienced my first dumping syndrome, a nasty side effect of WLS. Though relieved to know that was what it indeed was, I have to say I am rather disappointed.  I've heard about people dumping off things they were not supposed to eat but I dumped off a bloody protein drink!  If I'd eaten a candy bar, I would have felt better about the whole thing!  Pat says that sometimes that is just the way it goes and maybe I drank what I drank of it too quickly.  The good news is that I now have experienced it and will know what it is next time.

The other good news is that I can drive again and more importantly, VACUUM! 

I'm so easy to please.



No comments:

Post a Comment