Friday, April 11, 2008

Sleep. It does a body good


I did finally sleep last night and that is a wonderful thing.  Lack of sleep makes my mind turn dark and scary and I was bordering dangerously close to morbid last night.  Odd, yes, but it has always been that way.  For example, I am not one to fear death; I know God is on the other side of that for me and knowing that, there is nothing to fear.  But when I am sleep deprived, I find myself positively terrified about death (and this is true when I am not facing a surgery, btw).  So!  Sleep!  Much better today!

I'm a little stunned that it is already Friday and I am approaching the final weekend before surgery.  I am so ahead at work, I am bored, and there is very little left to even do at home and what is left will be finished this afternoon.  Basically, it is just mopping and waxing the kitchen floor and running a mop over a bit of the hardwood floor downstairs as JJ dripped something sticky on it this week.

Celia called me this morning; my friend who had this surgery ten years ago.  She has been wonderful through all of this and what is so neat is that I was out of touch with her for years!  We only worked together and we never did anything socially together, but I used to stop by her desk and chat when I worked in Corporate Amerca Hell.  I've been out of that environment for 7 years now.  Celia was always big, but then I remembered her suddenly losing lots of weight.  When the Brit and I started pursuing this journey, I thought about Celia and something in the back of my mind said that she'd had WLS.  Well, last fall, I ran into her and I was like "You may think I'm nuts, but did you have gastric bypass?" She said yes and we fell into easy conversation about it all, standing outside in the warm sunshine for nearly 45 minutes.

Since that time, she has called to check up on our progress and has sent me encouraging emails.  She called me this morning, knowing how close I am getting to the BIG DAY and reminded me again how amazingly wonderful this was going to be.  How it was like suddenly having this new life you never knew you could have.  She told me that when I needed clothes, she wanted to buy me my first outfit.  She's a doll and I look forward to her paying me a visit once I get home from the hospital.

Everyone has been just wonderful.  Shell accompanied me to Baltimore last Friday for my appointment and is going to intercept my kids on Wednesday.  Kelly is going to get them on Tuesday.  Lisa brought over a frozen meal (which will probably go for two meals as there is so much!) this week for the Brit and the kids when I am recovering.  Robyn is taking off work to be at the hospital with me along with my mom and sister.  Paula will be at my house Tuesday morning to get the kids off to school, unless we don't have to be at the hospital till late, which I doubt.  Laura is blogging for me.  My prayer group is laying hands on me Monday night.  I am just overcome with the depth of love and friendship I feel from everyone.

One more weekend and one more work day.



No comments:

Post a Comment