Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Glad to be home but still not happy


My hospital time this time was awful.  Apparenty either being in the hospital or being under anethesia makes me have major meltdowns.

Got out of surgery and didn't feel too bad.  Sore, but still pretty much out of it.  The Brit stayed till 8:00, then I watched TBL and after that, I decided to go walk.  Apparently, I had till midnight to pee and no peeing had been happening.  I had a cathetar for my surgery which was removed immediately after at 4:30.  If I didn't pee by midnight, they would have to put a cathetar in while I was awake and of course, the thought of it freaked me out. 

I walked and walked and drank and drank and though the pressure was there to go, I just couldn't.  At 11:45 I had a total meltdown out of fear, exhaustion and hunger.  Earlier, my dinner consisted of chicken broth, full sugar jello and full sugar ice cream.  Yeah.  I drank the broth and left the rest.  So, one of the very kind nurses, sonogramed my bladder as I bordered on hysterics and she was able to talk the doctor into giving me to 1:30am to pee.  So more walking and walking and drinking and drinking and I was so damn tired, I was almost ready to just tell them to do the cathater so I could sleep.  But finally at 1:15 I produced and was able to go to bed. 

I slept off and on from 1:30am till 4:00am and then was up.  A nurse came into to tend to my roomate and decided that switching on all the lights at 4:00 was a jolly good idea.  No more sleeping for me though my roomie had no problems going back to sleep.

From 4:00 on, all I wanted was breakfast.  I had explained to my night nurse that the full sugar stuff I couldn't have and she promised to sort it out for me.  When breakfast finally came at 8:30, I had another meltdown, this one I blame on lack of sleep.  Really, I am not a cry baby; I hardly ever cry, but something about hospitals bring out the big ole baby in me.  They had brought me vanilla yogurt (I love every single other kind but vanilla.  Cannot hack vanilla) and a freaking protein mix and milk and ya'll know how I feel about protein drinks.  I didn't touch any of it.

The discharge nurse came to see me around 9:30 and was alarmed that I hadn't eaten, so I explained to her what had happened last night and what had happened this morning.  She was completely annoyed because my night nurse had put me in for a meal equivilent for a brand new RNY patient.  No, no, no.  So she got me some cereal and a lemon yogurt and I felt much better.

However, on the hour and a half drive home, I had to make The Brit stop three times for me to pee, as the pressure on my bladder was unbearable.  I was actually getting alarmed and it didn't improve at home either.  I took a three hour nap and had to get up twice to pee and when I'm awake, the pressure builds about every twenty minutes.  I called the resident on call and she believes I have a urinary infection caused by the cathater, so she has called me in two more meds to go with my percocet.  Ugh!

My stomach looks awful and creepy.  Five incisions, and the left side of my tummy is oddly distended, which they said was normal but it creeps me out to look at it.

I'm in pain and I have to pee.  This feels worse than the RNY for me but I think that is because I was in the hospital for four nights with my RNY, so by the time I came home, I felt pretty good.  Not feeling so swift this time.



6 comments:

  1. Your body must just react that way to the anesthetic... that would be my guess. Hang in there and it'll all be over soon! I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim, Be patient with yourself and keep saying "this to shall pass". I have to agree, your hospital stay sounded awful; especially, becasue I know like you the nursing staff on the RNY floor were wonderful. Truly caring people. You've had a rough few weeks what with hurint your foot and now this.
    Just keep thinking about Spring and how you'll be feeling great and it will be beautiful outside.
    I can smell all the flowers now...
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had hospital meltdowns, too - it's difficult because you're in a vulnerable spot, and putting yourself completely into someone else's care (which in itself can be really stressful), and you would think (hope) that that means they are aware of your needs. Not always true. Add pain and sleep deprivation (and catheters...!!!) and you're pretty much headed for that "special floor" in the hospital...you know, the one where they lock the doors from the inside...
    Been thinking about you and hoping all will soon be much better for you. If there's anything I can do, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry girlie...hope it gets better quick...Thinking about ya and sending up a prayer or two...

    xoxo...Jil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kim, hang on in there. I'm sorry you've had such a bad time, but this will have to pass and sooner than you expect.

    I'm praying for you, sis!

    ReplyDelete