Sunday, February 15, 2009

Silver Lining on a Grey Day


Every have one of those days that though it is not actually bad, it just stinks?  Like it's a weekend and you're bored out of your tree and there is nothing to do, and you have a sick kid, so you are stuck at home doing laundry and waiting on people?  Or is that just me today?

Anyway, Saturday was one of those days.  Ugly outside, people sick or cranky inside.  I was bored and just kind of pacing from one room to another looking for something to occupy myself so I wouldn't boredom eat.  Hard to clean with people home in front of a television and all.  So, I grabbed a jacket and my ipod and headed out the door for the mile walk around the park...and dang it was cold!  And it started snowing when I was halfway around the park which is even more depressing considering it was nearly 70 degrees last Monday (Have I mentioned how I hate this time of you?  Have I mentioned that I have spring fever in the worst way and it is only mid-February?  I swear when warm weather hits, I am never staying inside again!).  But I finished my walk, came home, started defrosting soup for dinner and started a pot of coffee before checking my email.

Now ya'll know I have a facebook addiction, so when I checked my email, I had a new message from Gina, one of my friends I grew up with in California.  Gina has a way better memory than I do and she recalled something from the 4th grade.  In 4th grade, we had a teacher that I remember being rather afraid of most of the time, though she never did anything to me personally.  It was the seventies and private Lutheran school, so kids who didn't do homework, got the ruler across their tail end by Miss W.  She was probably the most strict teacher I've ever had.  Anyway, Gina's message said the following:

"Okay, major flashback. I saw Miss W smile once. She told a fable about a woman who could choose between two gifts.  One was a big box and it was beautifully wrapped and the other was a tiny box. She chose the big box and it was a vacuum or something lame like that and missed out on the little diamond ring in the little box. So, she was VERY disappointed with the gift. Miss W. asked the class what's the moral of the story?  Good things come in small packages, right? No, you raised your hand and said, "Don't give a woman work!"  It was very funny, even in 4th grade."

So far (it is Saturday now though you all won't read this till Sunday because we are going on a mini overnight adventure tomorrow and I wanted to get my blogging done) it has been the highlight of Valentine's Day.



3 comments:

  1. Could this be where the vacuum obsession started? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny Robyn... I was thinking the same thing.

    I hope that you found a silver lining in your weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your valentine's day got much, much better!

    ReplyDelete