Thursday, February 19, 2009

Total Addict


I have apparently become addicted to all shows, articles, news briefs, etc on weight loss. 

Can't seem to stop watching The Biggest Loser, even the old ones on FLN (I think that is the channel.  F something anyway).  I watch these things and I cry and get angry at the people who are more interested in playing the game than getting healthy.  I know it's a game, but the health part of it is so much more important and despite it being a game, they are teaching these contestants how to eat better and exercise.  As Jillian Michaels (my girl crush. I love her.  I'll take her over Bob any day of the week, though I do like him too.  I just love the way she works to get the heart of each person's issues with food, weight, etc) said on an episode, TBL is like the Olympics of weight loss.  How fast they can do it so someone can win.  But they also have contestants work at home, to show that it can be done without being on the ranch. 

Dr. Phil was finally back yesterday with his Ultimate Weight Loss Solution/Race and we got to check in with those folks.  The game is much like TBL, even with eliminations, but I am just cheering on all these people, so wanting them to succeed.

On the flip side of that, and I wish I had the article with me, I got my new issue of "Health" magazine yesterday and one reader wrote in about how she had been considering gastric bypass surgery and then she read an article in the magazine about how some woman lost over 100 pounds by diet and exercise, so now the writer was going to focus on losing weight "the right way" instead of the "quick fix".  Nice. 

I just don't get people like that.  Is there only one "right" way to quit smoking, or drinking?  I am all for someone being able to lose weight by diet and exercise alone, but does that work for every single person?  If there was only one "right" way to do anything, then the world would be monotonous and many more people would be out of jobs.

It's like telling an anorexic or bulimic to "just eat" or "don't barf". Ah, if only it were that simple for those people!  But each individual is as complex as each disorder or addiction and what might work for one will not work for another.  If diets and exercise alone worked for many of us, I would not have spent half my life at the size I was!  Believe me, I dieted and exercised my way to 315 pounds.  Of course, the judgers would simply say I was doing it wrong, because they are unable to see past what works for them. 

I get so angry and frustrated with intolerance over anything.  As an obese person, I was faced with daily intolerance because of my size.  I could go to a gym and hear snide remarks being made behind my back, though there I was trying to do something about my size and still to those that judge, that wasn't good enough.  Then when we take control of our lives, doing what works for us, we are faced with a whole 'nother level of judgment.  We didn't do it "right".  What gives any other human being the right to decide that for anyone else?  Have they walked in my shoes or led my life?  Have they made my attempts for me?  Do they know that I cheated or gave up or didn't give it my all?  Of course they don't because they don't know me.  They just read that we had RNY and they immediately turn their noses up and condemn us for not doing things the "right way". 

They don't have that right.  They think they do, but they don't.  I have no shame for what I did.  People battling weight issues at 25, 50, 100 or 400 pounds overweight should hold no shame.  Obesity is a disease and in my opinion it is the only disease that still has zero tolerance in the public eye.  The obese population are targets to so many people; to make fun of, to scoff, to whisper about.  How do those things motivate anyone?  How do those things show compassion or even sympathy? 

The problem is that obese people are easily spotted in public.  If you are a drug addict, or an alcoholic, you can hide that to an extent, but obesity you cannot disguise.  It is there for all the world to see and to apparently comment upon as there are people who feel it is their right.  Problem is, when the walking obese hear the comments and the intolerance, so many of them turn back to their constant friend, the one who doesn't judge them.  Food.  So those doing the mocking are contributing to the disease in my opinion.  Even many people who don't have weight issues, turn to food for comfort, so why would it be any different for those struggling with their weight?

Wake up, people!  Yes, there is an obesity problem in this country, but stop contributing to it by your constant judgments.  When you are the one battling something do you want people to condemn you?  Of course you don't; no one does.  It's completely inhumane.

So though TBL may indeed by the "olympics of weight loss" it works for some people (see me trying to tie these thoughts in together?  I went off on a tangent and now am trying to work out how I got from point A to point B!).  Isn't that what really matters?  That each individual takes control and does what works best for them?



5 comments:

  1. Huzzah, Huzzah Kim and ten quid pro quo's...well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, Kim! What has me stumped lately is that everybody claims this or that food is now "healthy" or will help you lose weight... but that's all relative.

    In my family, for example, I'm on the RNY "plan": low-sugar, low-fat, high protein.

    My sister's on a low-cal balanced eating plan, much like what my nutritionist recommended while I was preparing for weight loss surgery.

    Dad's on a modified South Beach--low-carb, high protein.

    Mom's on the "Beyond Calories" plan--she eats by combining certain food groups together at certain times of day.

    Uncle George is on MediFast--meal replacements with a lean protein and veggie for dinner.

    And guess what? We're ALL losing weight! I recently discovered the Flat Out wraps I blogged about and I think they're healthy... but only "healthy" according to MY plan and my sister's plan. The don't work on my mom or dad's or uncle's plans.

    Healthy is doing what works for YOU in the balance that works for YOU with the nutrients that nourish YOU.

    GAH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Kim. And about all those shows you watch on weight loss? Well, I am addicted to all things weight loss on TV. For instance..BIG MEDICINE..when any of these shows come on i am glued to the TV. Tim says to me "why are you watching them"?..and how I want to answer "Because they are me, could be me,and most of all I feel their pain"..no, can't respond with that ...I just say "well, believe it or not .those shows motivate me" , which they do. Last Sunday I watched the largest man in the world get married. Did you catch that one? He is literally confined to his bed, but seems to be an upbeat kind of guy. Somewhere in all of it I can find myself and know that, that could be me.
    Well, here I am going off...anyway, here is my question?
    Where would you be now if you had not had bypass surgery a year ago?
    Well, better get back top what they pay me for..LOL
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you are so right - AMEN sister! People are so judgemental of things that the know nothing about... not that I'm not guilty of the same thing from time to time... but how do we think progress happens?! You have to step out there and find what works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to also add that the thing that really hurts me the most is watching people make comments about John when we are in public. The staring and just horrible things people do... I tend to stare them down so that they know that I know what they are doing... but it's just so hurtful.

    I don't remember it much when I was where he is - but I think I just looked down and walked straight out of restaurants and things without making eye contact with anyone. It was my coping mechanism.

    ReplyDelete