Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Losing it over "I Lost It"


I think it was Monday, when I was food deprived that I sat in front of the television, channel surfing and ran across a show on Discovery Health called "I Lost It".  The premise of the show is about people who are overweight or obese and lose the weight in any way, whether it be WLS, Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, whatever.  I turned it on because though the episode was half over, one of the stories was about a woman who had RNY.

However, that was the story in the first fifteen minutes.  The second fifteen minutes that I saw was about a married couple and she was obese.  He was no slim Jim, but the wife was definitely bigger.  When hubby had to have some kind of back surgery, and had complications, he confronted his wife about her weight because he didn't want to see their children grow up without a mother if anything happened to him.

Sounds good enough, right?  Well, that was where the warm fuzzies ended for me.  The narrator then went back into their story and hubby talks about how slim and beautiful his wife was when they met.  He listed all of her physical attributes, which immediately put me off.  Then after they had been married a couple of years, he decided he was homesick for Colorado, and so he moved his wife away from her entire family so he could move closer to home.  Then he traveled with his job all the time.  So, he left her alone in a strange place, with no friends and no family and heaven forbid, she put on weight.  Add to that, two children and the wife just got bigger. 

Hubby, being the chivalrous *gag, cough* man he was, went out and bought her all sorts of exercise equipment (no, she didn't ask him too.  He was all about subtle hints, apparently), which, and he seemed surprised about this, had the opposite affect on her.  I guess it pissed her off (can't imagine why, can you?) and she refused to use it.  Then when hubby's neck or back issues started, he used that as an "excuse" to sleep on the couch so he wouldn't have to share a bed with his fat wife.  This went on for months.

Now, after his narrow escape in surgery, she did decide she needed to lose the weight for her kids and she joined WW and did it.  Of course, now hubby shares her bed again and thinks she is beautiful and they are all happy, ad nauseum.

Dang, that story pissed me off.

The only thing the wife didn't do correctly was to divorce his sorry ass once she took the weight off.  She can so do better than a man who is more concerned with what she looks like than who she is. 

Ugh, the whole thing left a bitter taste in my mouth and I really don't think I am being overly sensitive, do you?



No comments:

Post a Comment