Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Farce


Calling what I did last night a "sleep study" is really a joke.  Calling it an "awake study" would be much more fitting.

Honestly, I get there and read for a bit while waiting my turn to get wired up and then the tech proceeds to tape/paste crap to my face, my head, my neck, my chest, my finger and my leg.  Then he wants me to go to sleep.  Oh, and let me mention that they wanted this study without the CPAP machine I have been using for like 5 years!  Once he had me all wired, I told him I felt like a suicide bomber.

Then they really want you to try to sleep on your back.  Well, girlfriend here is not a back sleeper; I always fall asleep on my right side and sometimes I wake up on my back, but rarely.  So I attempt and manage to briefly fall asleep on my back, but it doesn't last long for me, so I have to roll over with all my attachments and wires and that cuts off my EKG line for the tech watching me in the other room, so he has to come in and wake me up to situate them again.  Then he decides as my skin is warm to the touch and this is making the tape for the EKG wires not stick well, to turn on a fan.  Can I tell you it has been between 6 and 18 degrees here lately?  I was freezing! The wake me up to readjust the wires happened like FOUR TIMES before my study was over at FIVE FREAKIN' FIFTEEN IN THE MORNING!  Then out to my cold car and home to take another Tylenol PM and go to bed until 11:30 am.  So today has been short, to say the least.

No results yet but hopefully this week.  I just hope I don't have to go back for another awake study with my CPAP. 

Please keep my dear friend, Kelly, her mom, Barb and the rest of their family in your prayers.  Kelly's stepfather was diagnosed with cancer right before Christmas and passed away last night, leaving the family probably shellshocked with the speed in which it happened.  I know they will get through this but it is so hard, as I've been there with my own father, only we had two years to prepare and this family did not.  So, your prayers would be very appeciated.



1 comment:

  1. After my sleep study, I went back a second time to do the whole thing over again while they tried out different mask settings. At least that night I DID get some sleep! Hopefully, if you do have to go back, it will be for that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete