Thursday, April 2, 2009

Aunt Flo, No Mo'


As a pre-op, the time of the month where Aunt Flo paid her visit were always my worst food times.  Fast forward to being a post-op and you will find that is still the case.  And I hate it.

Could not eat dinner last night.  Why?  Because I ate a freaking chocolate covered carmel and had a session of dumping syndrome from it, so there was no eating dinner for me lest I make it worse and I was already feeling lousy enough.  So once I felt better, I had some animal crackers and freaking cheez its and then had an apple and peanut butter ala Trader Joes with none of the bad stuff in it.  Better than the crackers but sheesh!  Of course, Flo already  has me feeling bloated, so I'm having one of those days where I'm thinking "OMG, I am on my way back to 315 pounds again!  Make it stop!"  And no, I haven't gained anything thankfully.

It is so hard to reconcille what I ate before to what I eat now.  Now, a handful of crackers makes me feel guilty,but should it?  Is it really that bad?  Is it going to make me gain weight when I've been exercising?  Probably not.  At least, I don't think so. 

My biggest problem is television time in the afternoon.  Why?  Because if I get all my chores done, I have a new fetish of adoring The Dog Whisperer and I have taped aka DVR'd a bunch of them (I am such an animal freak and this guy amazes me).  When I'm watching television, I want to nibble.  I want to nibble something that is going to last awhile.  So what should I chose?  Right now it is the dreaded animal crackers and Cheez Its but surely there is a better solution.  It's head hunger, I'm sure of it, left over from years of smoking while watching television.  Then when I quit doing that, it became snacking while watching television.  So what do I replace it with now? 

I'm also having issues with jellybeans.  The church is trying to kill me really.  Not only have I had to avoid chocolate eggs in the narthex for weeks now, but now there are jellybeans in the vicinity!  Ugh!  It's all ugly badness. Christmas candy did not bother me at all.  Easter crap?  Whole 'nother story.  And you know why it is?  Because jellybeans are a nibble food; feasibly a food I could nibble while watching Cesar Millan that would last awhile.  It's a vicious cycle.

So what do you snack on?  What is your nibble food?



















>

7 comments:

  1. This is horrendous but I love Little Debbies..Nutty Bars, Oatmeal Cream Pies, Fancy Cakes...you name it...of course I can only eat a couple of bites but it is still bad...sigh...sigh...sigh...and the White Chedder Cheez-its...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lord, I totally hear you! My nibble foods are peanuts (helllooooo calories!), dry cereal, granola, pretzels, crackers (any kind... cheez its, kashi, wheat thins, saltines, you name it). And I'll even eat a few jelly beans if they're out!

    What SHOULD be my nibble foods? Carrots, strawberries, sugar free jello, baked cheese thingys, pickles, cucumber, etc etc etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My nibble foods used to be whatever was in the house. So, now I try to keep oranges because I crave citrus a lot. I try keeping the 100 calorie bags because then I don't have to count, somebody else already did and I can eat 1 and I am full. I have also started drinking more juice, water or tea while watching tv so I am less likely to nibble. I still find myself getting up to grab that bag of chips and sometimes I'll have a few. but, I am trying to make those times far and few in between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Girl

    While I haven't had WLS done, I know the freak out feeling when you eat something "banned" since my heart attack and surgery. For me it is work that does me in. I've been extra diligent lately about eating salad at every meal (sans breakfast) and it seems to be helping. I stop at the local farmer's market and pick up a huge bag of mixed greens for 2.99 which last me nearly a week. The average salad amount I have is approx. 2 cups of lettuce with no more than 1 tbs of dressing (lite or fat free) and as many lighter calorie veggies as needed. Turns out I'm eating less of everything else and the hunger is not as bad afterwards.

    For snacking I'm still challenged but I am trying to make sure that I am eating whole grain stuff or wheat free alternatives like "mary's gone crackers" pepper crackers, rice cakes, soy chips or a mixture of fruit and yogurt. I am starting to like Greek yogurt and add a package of chaquita fruit snacks - it's pricey but until I can learn better portion controls this works because it is done for me and is working.

    Love what you're writing about - it's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Animal Crackers for this gal .....and while they are no way near as bad, they are carbs .....
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT THOSE JELLYBEANS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just discovered Greek yogurt yesterday. I really like it, and it has like 3x the amount of protein as regular yogurt (and it's about 3x as expensive, too).

    My weakness? Doritos. Total kryptonite. However, we've finally gotten some decent fresh produce here, so I also picked up a watermelon, some strawberries, and some salad. And I totally agree with you... when I eat junk, it seems like I just want to eat more and more of it, but when I eat fruits and veggies, I'm not that hungry.

    ReplyDelete