Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The White House Gets A Dog

We now have a first dog...Bo.  Bo is a Portuguese water dog that was a gift from Sen. Edward Kennedy & wife.  I won't bother posting videos and pictures because they are all over the internet.....but it got me thinking.....shouldn't every family have a dog???

I have to admit, I've been a cat person my whole life.  Then about 3 years ago, I insisted on a dog.  Hubby was against it - he didn't want a dog.  He didn't even want to discuss it - no dog.  But one day I decided to go to a rescue and get a dog; I asked him if he were coming.  He did - and that's how Toby came to be. 

I will admit, dogs aren't self-sufficient like a cat is.  They require a lot of care.  The first few weeks with Toby were a nightmare - I decided I didn't want a dog after all.  But after awhile things worked out, so it was no surprise that a year ago we went back to the rescue and came home with Keyser.  Having Keyser made me realize that Toby wasn't a hard adjustment at all...we're still going through a Keyser adjustment.  But we love him anyway.

There are allot of dogs out there in need of homes.  Nothing can be better than giving a home to a dog that for some reason or another has been given up, abandoned or neglected in a previous home.  Check your local SPCA or if you have a breed in mind, look for a nearby rescue.  Remember, it isn't always necessary to start with a little puppy - as a matter of fact, if you don't have the time, don't get a puppy.  They are like having babies around.

Kim has an interest in a golden retriever.  Very good dogs for kids.  Here's a nearby rescue:  http://www.goldheart.org/  .  Now I know Kim won't be me and just go out the door and say she's going to get a dog....she'll want Chris to agree.  But I truly believe that that time is coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment