Sunday, April 26, 2009

Change of Plans


We've known for over a week that we were changing our vacation plans for the summer but I couldn't post them because I wanted to call my sister-in-law and my brother in California first to let them know we weren't coming this summer but the plan has changed to going west next summer.  It's still a trip we want to take and a trip I need to take as it is has been too long, but in this season of our lives, there are other places calling.

For numerous reasons, we are electing to head to England for two weeks this summer, probably in June.  I remember the first year after my dad died and how difficult it was for mom and I lived in the same town with her.  The Brit and I do not have that convenience with his father, so we feel we are better off in England for vacation.  Add to that the fact that I love it there, love my father in law, Gina and Gareth, not to mention our numerous friends abroad.  The kids have never been, plus they will be a big distraction to my FIL (they are a big distraction period).  JJ especially, adores his granddad and is really anxious to go over to play with him for awhile. 

So, there you have it.  I'm looking forward to the trip every bit as much as I was California, only for different reasons.  Either would be an adventure and catching up with family is always fun, but the bigger need right now is helping dad to cope and to get used to his new normal.  I love spending time with him and now there is a greater need to do so as I want to be able to help in any way I can.  Mum's loss has been hard on everyone, but it would have to be especially hard on her spouse as they had been married for 49 years.

The weekend here was good and hot and it made me happy.  I so prefer hot to cold, even when it is unseasonably hot like this weekend.  But it is supposed to cool down a bit by next weekend; either way, it's all good.



3 comments:

  1. Well I can't meet up with you for lunch in England, but it sounds like a very good plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great plan, and it gives the Brit's Dad something to look forward to. I'll bet that just knowing you guys are coming is a comfort and a distraction in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great plan. I'm sure your father in law will really enjoy seeing you again so soon, and getting to see his grandchildren! :)

    ReplyDelete