Friday, April 3, 2009

Healthy Dose Friday Interrupted


So, we finally have a few vague answers on my mother in law.

They attempted the endoscopy this morning but ran into problems by finding a dead bit of bowel that I think was perforated.  She was taken into surgery where they removed a mass (I'm unsure if it is from her stomach or her bowel) and gave her a colostomy bag.  They believe the mass could be cancer, but are waiting for pathology.  She was taken to the ICU after surgery.

In a nutshell, that is what I know.  I'm hoping to get some other answers tomorrow.  See, I compare this to the only point of reference I have, which was my dad.  When he was diagnosed, we knew immediately that the cancer had spread and that they were unable to get it all during surgery.  So, this leaves me wondering if there is cancer, if it is contained to the mass they removed.  I'm assuming a doctor knows cancer on sight, right?  I also wonder if the colostomy is a temporary thing until she heals up.

It's really hard sitting three thousand miles away with a five hour time difference waiting for news.  The Brit internalizes all of it and doesn't much want to talk about it, which really is fruitless, because we know so little.  I keep wondering the questions over and over as we awaite some answers. 

At any rate, your prayers are appreciated greatly and I'll keep you informed as I have information.



No comments:

Post a Comment