Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Sleeve


Kim asked:

Wasn't that what they asked the insurance to approve when they denied it? Did you guys get that settled with them?

I'll continue to pray for you guys... is the Brit okay with the way the things went? I don't know much about the gastric sleeve... how does that compare with the RNY? Meaning what's the difference I guess? Is the recovery any different?

I spoke to Theresa yesterday, insurance person extraordinaire for our surgeon.  I called her from the waiting room (we had spoken many times on the phone through the whole getting The Brit approved fiasco) and she said, "Isn't your husband having surgery now?"

"Yes."

"So if you are here at the hospital, why are you calling me?"

"Because I have no idea where you are."

"Where are you?"  I told her and she said, "I'll be right there."

Theresa had RNY ten months ago and is down 86 pounds.  She showed up and it is always so nice to meet the folks I spend so much time talking to.  I explained to her about the sleeve and how was that going to work with insurance as they had denied it to begin with.  She explained that they were going to try to work with them as Dr. S had done what was best for the patient and that RNY was still the plan but it would have to be done in two stages.  She was hoping to not have any problems and said that Dr. S would have very detailed dictation explaining why he did what he did. Then we chatted about the surgery and about the dreaded protein and she gave me some ideas, which I'll share later.

Now, anyone who wants to know more about the gastric sleeve, can read here.  Basically, his post op diet is the same as mine, but they want him to eat less meals as his stomach is slightly bigger than mine.  Other than that, all the same rules apply.

The Brit was doing better tonight though tired as the first night in the hospital they wake you up almost hourly for vitals, etc.  They are working on regulating his blood sugar with his insulin dosage as that is all changing already.  We walked the halls a few times together and he did well.  He is still scheduled to be released tomorrow and my father-in-law and I plan to head out tomorrow morning around 10:00.

Another long day, so I am bed bound.  I promise to get caught up on my blog reading soon, so please bear with me!



No comments:

Post a Comment