Saturday, May 31, 2008

A TMI Post...


....so you can't say I didn't warn you.

I have one major issue with having had WLS and it shall be called "Iron".  Iron is one of the things I have to take because I am a female who still menstruates (and despite skipping the month after surgery, I am right back on schedule now) and in case you didn't know, iron tends to bind one up a bit, or in my case, a lot.  In a nutshell, I have pooping issues unlike any I have ever had before.

Pooping has always been of the utmost importance to me.  My mother had a bout with colon cancer about twenty or so years ago and the same disease took my father's life nine years ago.  Because of these two things, I always am concerned about my nether region and what is coming out of it, is it on schedule and all sorts of other particulars I will not gross you out about.  I had a roomie once, during the time my father was ill,  who used to get completely pissed off if he had to poop more than once a day and my thoughts were "Buddy, at least you're pooping."

During the time my father was sick, I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) which causes hard stools at times and loose at other times (Aren't ya'll glad you know all this about me now??) and though mine tended to be the latter more often, the few times they were hard have caused me to have hemroids.  They flare up here and there but it was no big deal, until Iron was introduced.

Now, going to the bathroom feels more like having a baby and there are times I am trying to have said baby that apparently I am simply not dilated enough to complete the job.  It leaves me tired and sore and feeling like I have done battle.  When I am finally able to give birth to this baby turd, there is blood involved from the hemroids and sitting is not pleasant for a few hours.  At 41, this is so not a problem I wish to be having.

Colace was not helping, so today, after a particularly long and painful episode, I purchased some Miralax and some Senokot-S, per the recommendation of a message board.  I need to find something that works and works well before the mission trip, because that week, I will simply not have time for twenty-five minute stubborn turd babies.

I have come to the conclusion that iron is simply a pain in the ass.



No comments:

Post a Comment