Monday, June 30, 2008

Guest Blogger, Kim

Hi all!  This is the "other Kim" taking over for a day while Kim is on her mission trip.  I pray that everything is going well for her on the trip, and that when she returns we'll read some great stories.

I am forced to realize in thinking about what Kim is experiencing this week-that my idea of roughing it is basically a two star hotel.  I guess to some degree, I am a princess of sorts, because I don't like being without my modern conveniences on a daily basis.  So I am in awe of what Kim and the students from her church are doing.

I'm not a stranger to helping people, but getting completely outside of my comfort zone has never been something that I have been able to do.  Being a fellow weight loss surgery patient, I'm learning to do a few things that challenge my comfort zone, but nothing this big so far.  My challenges have mainly been isolated to going to parties and functions that I typically wouldn't attend.  Which I know seems lame, but for someone who has grown up being a wall flower, it's a big step!

I have a cousin that was an African missionary, and signed up for ten year trip...and while I know that mission work of that kind is not in my future, I hope that someday I'll be able to do something smaller.  Even in my own community, God's love needs to be shown and shared with others, and I'd love to have the courage to do just that one day.  I am thankful that when I do step out there to spread his word, he will fill my mouth with just the right words to do the most good for his kingdom.

Again, my only hope is that one day I will be able to step completely outside of my own world to show someone living in completely different surrounding what God's love is really like.  Until that time, I am thankful to Him for providing others that are able to do just that in my place.  I think it's a special gift that Kim gives the students that she works with as well: lessons in faith and love that will last a lifetime.  Kim truly is one of my heroes!


No comments:

Post a Comment