Thursday, June 26, 2008

Paying it Forward


Still loving the new car.

What I also love is being able to return the favors that were done for me as a pre-op byseveral post-ops.  Celia and Christine I know personally and they answered so many of my questions early on as I began to explore the possibility of WLS.  Then there were my girly peeps, Kim, Lacy and Meg, the brave ladies who went before me...right before me really as they only had their surgeries a few months before mine.  I was able to read all about how they were doing in play-by-plays on their blogs, which helped to prepare me and answer so many of my questions.  There was also Alison, who though she doesn't blog as regularly, took the time to email me answers to my questions and to check in on me often.

So, from what I understand, several weeks ago, when I went into my mom's TOPS group to share my WLS story, apparently they put something in the paper weekly about their meeting and what the topic is.  This is how I have come to know Ellen.  Ellen contacted one of the TOPS members, (my mother's cousin) because she had been unable to make the meeting but wanted to talk to me as she was interested in having the surgery.  After a few weeks of phone tag, we finally got hooked up over the phone last Sunday and we talked for an hour.  Like so many others had done for me, I was able to answer some of Ellen's questions and at her request, told her my entire RNY story from beginning to end.  She is now completely convinced that she wants the surgery, and like me a year ago, is starting the six month structured diet process.  I like Ellen very much and am very happy to be able to return the favor that so many did for me.

Though I have said before that I would not recommend this surgery to anyone, I am also more than happy to support anyone who wants to have it.  The reason I would not recommend it simply because it is a personal decision and not for everyone.  It would never be in my place to pressure anyone to have it, whether I think someone would benefit from it or not. 

So the mission trip is now really close and I am rather excited!  I love this kind of stuff; road trips and youth and helping people and letting them see Jesus working in my life.  It was an amazing experience last year and the final factor in my deciding to have surgery.  I have no doubt that this year will be even more amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment