Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Overturned Diagnosis


I'm still struggling with honey wheat pretzel twists.  What I am finding is that when The Brit is late getting home for dinner at 6:00, I start nibbling.  Not sure of how to remedy this problem, but I think I'll try to make sure I just keep drinking while waiting for dinner to ensue.  Better yet, dumb ass, quit buying the stupid pretzels!

So, as of this next week's grocery shop, I vow to not purchase anymore pretzels to snack on! 

The other problem is not being able to find my Kashi Pumpkin Spice bars, which I LOVE!  They are the only protein bar I like, and the last two boxes I found were at Target and I bought their last two boxes.  They are gone.  So when the urge for crunchy or munchy comes around, there is little to reach for at the moment.

Took both boys today for their yearly check ups.  I love our doctor, though I travel a little bit further to see him.  There is a Children's doctor here in town, but I hate them.  When the kids are actually sick, I take them there because it is close, but the girl who works the front desk, acts like Attila the Hun and you never know what doc you are going to get.  Their other office is about twenty minutes down the road, but Dr. S is well worth it. 

Both boys are doing well and I had a chat with Dr. S about JJ.  I told him that members of my family had wanted to diagnose him with ADD but I asked him "Wouldn't that show up in school?"  The answer is absolutely.  I told him that JJ was very active and a bit high strung and he told me that being extremely active and high strung was not a diagnosis for medication.  He said if I was getting notes from the school about him constantly being out of his seat, talking out of turn or other behavior problems, then there could very well be an issue.  JJ has none of these.  His behavior rubic score 98%of the time is a 4, which is the highest.  I explained how each year, I would speak to his teacher and tell her how JJ's brother is ADHD and does his teacher see any symptoms.  The answer is always "No.  None whatsoever."  So, I'm hoping I can put this diagnosis to rest with my family.  Heaven forbid if every overly active kid was medicated; we'd have a real mess.

So, there was my day.  The appointments were for 1:15 and we were out of there at 3:00.  I like the fact that he is so thorough and that he takes the time to listen and answer questions and to ask some.  They both had shots, and were quite brave; no one cried.  Not even me.



No comments:

Post a Comment