Saturday, August 16, 2008

Washington Anniversary


So yesterday after work, I headed to Washington DC.  The Brit had been there all week (Yup, I was on my own all week and it was busy but lovely) for training and we had arranged for an extra night at his hotel so we could celebrate our anniversary (Ten years on the 21st of this month).

I came to the decision that I love Washington DC.  I'd never want to live there, but I love the activity of the city. I love watching the people walking and biking all over the city, and watching the cabs and buses and looking at all the different shops and restaurants.

I took the Metro in and unfortunately trusted the front desk clerk at the hotel with directions.  She told me that when I got off the Metro to go right on K Street and then left on Vermont.  It should have been two lefts.  So after walking about four blocks and not seeing Vermont, I asked someone only to find out Vermont was in the opposite direction.  But I don't panic about being lost in the city as there is always someone to ask.

Once arriving at the hotel, we went for a late lunch at Mccormick and Schmicks.  It was wonderful.  We then walked back to the hotel to collect the camera and then went to Union Station to get tickets for the Twilight Tour of the monuments.  We did this tour years ago in the winter and it was lovely both times.  We are given time to get off the tourmobile and go spend time at each monument before returning and going to the next one. 

Everything in DC is lit up so beautifully and elegantly.  I did get some pics, but without the tripod, it is hard to get good shots at night.



Across the street from Union Station.



Columbus monument in front of Union Station.




View of the Capitol.



One of the prettiest monuments: FDR Monument. This is one of my favorites because there are several parts to it, most involving water.



The gettin' skinny Brit in front of part of the FDR monument.



The newest monument is the WWII Memorial.  It is again a water monument and is quite breathtaking.




Me, a little blurry underneath Maryland at the WWII Memorial.

Okay, heading to bed!  Happy Sunday to everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment