Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cool News on the Exercise Front


I forgot to tell you all yesterday that when I was in Baltimore for my one week post-op check up, Pat was checking over my vitals that the nurse had taken when they first took me back.  She commented on my low heart rate, stating I had "the heart rate of a runner."  Assuming this is good, I was thrilled.  Though I am not running yet, my cardio has been a huge help in getting my fitness level more to where it should be.  I'm telling you all, exercise is not overrated.  Fun?  No, not really, but so incredibly beneficial in more ways than non-exercising people can probably imagine.  Not only is it good for the body, but it is great for stress release, mental health and energy level.  I'm telling you, if you aren't exercising, suck it up and get a move on.  No matter how much you hate the act itself, you will LOVE the benefits.  I promise.  You can hold me to it.

I did get to the gym today and did my 30 minutes on the elliptical, which kicked my butt after over two weeks away.  But, I did it.  I got through it.  A little bit lower than my normal intensity, but with having surgery just over a week ago, I was quite happy with being there and completing the half hour.

My friend, Tod, called me today.  Tod is the friend who had to have the emergency appendectomy in November and as his mom lives over an hour away, I helped care for him in his recovery.  He had told me right after Christmas that his mother had a gift for me (which I told him was totally unnecessary.  I don't need a gift for helping to take care of a friend) but I hadn't talked to him since the end of December as he has been in rehearsals for "The Mousetrap" at the Apollo.  Anyway, today he told me what he and his mom got for me:  an hour session with a personal trainer!  Woot!  As soon as my restrictions on lifting are lifted (ha!) I'm setting up a time to work with the trainer on what to best do to tone my upper arms and my abdomen.  I really don't want plastics at my age, so I want to be able to do the best with what I have.  It was a perfect gift and I am so grateful!

I've had a difficult food day today.  Not with food choices but with my pouch not being tolerant.  Don't know if any of it has to do with my gall bladder removal or not, but for both lunch and dinner, I was able to eat very little, ie, less than usual and then immediately felt like hell.  Hopefully tomorrow will be an improvement as all I've really managed to do okay with today are things of cracker substance, ie. carbs, which are not my first choice.  But sushi didn't go well and neither did a little seafood.

Tomorrow, Y again after work, then taking the oldest kid to therapy.  I'm hoping the elliptical and I will be friends again after tomorrow.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Kim, I really liked your post and what you said about exercise. I have been making an effort to get to the gym at least 3-4 times. AND yesterday I started walking outside. Yes, chilly but it felt so good ....i kept telling Tim last night I can't believe I made it around the perimeter of Owings Mills mall without stopping, huffing and puffing AND being short of breath.

    Do I like exercise? No, not really but I can see the benefits just from the short time I've been doing it - regularly....
    Of course I am now down about 60lbs so I'm sure that helps ...LOL
    Have a good day ...

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect gift! I would LOVE that!

    That is very exciting news about your heart rate - I haven't gotten any great news like that, but my blood pressure is hanging in there better now that I've been working out more... and if I can stay off of those medicines - it's an improvement that I'd happily accept!

    ReplyDelete