Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Something New


One of the other things I have learned from my girl crush's podcast is that when it comes to exercise, you have to switch it up, or your body and muscles become complacent.  She talked about a study being done awhile back on mailmen, who walked the same route day after day, year after year, and how eventually they started burning less calories than they were orginally.  The body becomes immune to the same old thing and the muscles simply adapt instead of being challenged.

So last night, when The Brit said, "Wanna try a kickboxing class?"  I was like "Of course!"

Gotta say it kicked my ass and I loved it.  I did aerobics back in high school and in many ways it was similar though I thought it was a bit higher impact.  I kept up fairly well, but did have to stop a few times and due to my still healing insides, I did not do the floor work at the end.  I know it is something that in some ways will get easier once we learn some of the combinations of moves.

The trainer for the class was great and when we were waiting to go into the room once the spin class was finished, he recognized us as new folks, and made it a point to talk to us.  He went over keeping the class on our level, modifying things to suit us as newbies, stopping when we needed to.  He also told us he didn't take a break the whole hour, but his students were encouraged to take a break as it was needed.  Most importantly, we were to have fun and not take it too seriously. 

Sometimes when I couldn't get the move right, I just did something else as long as I kept moving. 

I plan on doing the kickboxing class again and next on my list?  I want to try a six 'o clock Zumba class.  I always thought the classes cost extra!  As they don't, look out!  I foresee a little experimentation in my future!



3 comments:

  1. Awesome, I've always wanted to try a kickboxing class! :-) There are a few others I want to try - belly dancing, hip hop dance, and spinning (once I get used to a bike so I don't embarass myself! haha) Congrats on trying something new and stepping out of the comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool - I'm very happy for you! Now I'm going to have to go find out what Zumba is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zumba is quite fan. Latin dancing and aerobics in one.

    ReplyDelete