Monday, March 23, 2009

Manic Monday Take Two


You know it's going to be a crap day when it starts out with one of my neighbors.

I walk out on the porch this morning, while getting ready to leave for work.  It is chilly and all I'm doing is putting a Netflix movie in the mailbox, when I nearly have a heart attack as a man is coming up my porch steps...again at 
8:20 AM. 

Now, last fall, the city replaced our sidewalk in front of our home as the trees near the curb tore up the sidewalk a bit with their roots.  The last few weeks, the city has been replacing the sidewalks up the road from us, I'm assuming for the same issue.  Our neighbor next door is an elderly man and his wife; very nice people, it's just that he can be a little funny about some things and he has lousy timing.

I am trying to get my crap together to leave for work and here he is on my porch.  He has Parkinsons and is doing very well, but sometimes I have difficulty understanding him.  He begins to ramble on about a tiny bit of sidewalk between our house and his, which is not being replaced at the city's expense and I think this neighbor has paid the city to replace his sidewalk (he had no tree root problem) as he kept talking about how reasonable $400 is.  What he essentially wanted was for me to walk down to the workers and tell them to replace the tiny bit of sidewalk between our homes and that I would pay for it so that then "the whole street would have their sidewalk replaced."  Yeah.  I told him I would have to talk to The Brit about it as he is the money guy and the neighbor kept saying "But they are here now and will be finishing today.  $400 to replace my whole sidewalk so that little bit can't cost much."

Dude. There is nothing wrong with that little bit of sidewalk other than the fact it is not new.  I think he was annoyed that I was unwilling to go down there and tell those guys "Hey, here's a check.  Replace this little piece of old sidewalk for me, k?"

Neighbors are totally overrated.  I am ready to move where we have like 5 acres of land and the closest neighbor is like 2 miles away. 

Prayers for my mother in law would be appreciated.  We're not sure what is going on, other than she has been sick for the last few weeks with stomach pain and lack of appetite and is now sitting in Emergency Services in England, waiting to be seen.  It's late there (10:30pm) so we're not sure if we will know anything tonight; if she will be admitted or what will happen.  Kind of scary for The Brit being 3000 miles away.  Thanks.  I know you all will cover her in prayer.



2 comments:

  1. I will be praying for the Brit's mom - that's horrible! I can't imagine feeling so helpless... not that you could change much if you were there, but there is at least comfort in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers going up for the Brit's mom.. Sorry you have so many neighbor issues.. sheesh!

    ReplyDelete