Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Family Vacations


Today's guest blogger is Kim from Thoughts by Kim.  Kim is a fellow C&P gal, who is also currently dealing with infertility issues.  She is amazing and when I asked for volunteers to blog, she was more than willing to share a post with us!

So in honor of summer, here you go...


Family Vacation


 


I know � the words bring up images of all sorts of things� all staring Chevy Chase, I�m sure.


 


For me� the concept of a family vacation means a �clipboard of fun� (aka meticulously planned activities for every second!), chaos, and a load of laughs� let me just give you some scenarios via a bulleted list.


 



  • Driving to Monticello while on a trip to Washington, D.C. and after an hour of driving realizing that our Dad has gotten us lost in a completely different STATE!

  • Going to the San Diego Zoo with my Dad and one older sister� and my Dad notoriously had a �trip hat� that he wore everywhere while on a said vacation� this time � very poetically � a bird pooped right on the bill of that hat! HA!

  • Another trip to the Wild Animal Kingdom or something in that area � a different vacation� going on the safari tram� and someone having to stop the train because their pacemaker went off.

  • Almost getting kicked out of a bed & breakfast because we woke the whole place up while playing competitive board games� we were REALLY in to it and probably were yelling at each other.

  • Getting food poisoning on my first trip with John�s family� landing myself in the hospital� only AFTER they went to the Cracker Barrel for breakfast � I planted myself on the bathroom floor of the restaurant for that entire meal. Then on the way home from the hospital� doing the same thing on the floor of Luby�s while they ate dinner. (In their defense � I was in the hospital for 8 hours!)

  • A trip with John�s family to a football game across the state� we dropped our things off at the hotel and went on to the game�. Not realizing that the hotel either serviced the rooms with all heat or all air conditioning� that day it was heat, and I cranked our thermostat up full blast� it never did cool down in there that night. ARG!

  • Same trip � ordering (accidentally) something that wasn�t on the menu of Denny�s and NEVER getting my meal.

  • My sister�s obsession with having a trip food item� something that we sample every restaurant we can � for instance � key lime pie in Washington, D.C. or fudge in Mackinac Island, MI or guacamole in Santa Fe, NM

  • Being on one trip while still engaged with John � and since we couldn�t stay in the same room� we were the only ones that didn�t get a jacuzzi tub in our room on one leg of the trip�

  • Getting a major medical procedure the same day as flying across the country� said medical procedure was the awake equivalent to a colonoscopy! Yikes!

  • John remembered that many years later, and made it up to me on a different trip � we got our own jacuzzi tub� but were so tired because it was the last night of the trip � we didn�t even use it, and we ordered pizza to be delivered to our room instead of going out to dinner.

  • John and I deciding that we would drive to meet up with the family for a trip� and naturally OUR trip started the day after Hurricane Katrina� so we drove right through the devastated areas� and had to wait 3 hours in line for gas at a filling station.

  • That same road trip � my doctors had changed my medications for my blood pressure right before we left� I�d never been able to sleep on a car trip before in my life � so we were planning all sorts of audio books and things to listen to� but I slept the ENTIRE trip from Houston to Williamsburg, VA AND back.

  • Another trip plagued with food poisoning� John and I got food poisoning on Christmas Day one year, and actually had to travel on a plane with it. I used very barf bag within a couple of rows of our seats. I had to endure a drunk guy making fun of me too � it was literally the worst ride ever!

 


I think that this list gives you plenty to laugh at, groan about, and certainly evidence that a trip with me is never anything short of an adventure!


 



No comments:

Post a Comment