Thursday, July 16, 2009

I Survived!



First off, I have to comment on a Lifetime movie of all things.  I am not a huge fan of their movies but stumbled across one last night that I recorded and watched today called "To Be Fat Like Me".  Basically a teenage girl goes undercover to discover how being the fat girl was different from being the thin, popular girl.  She felt that personality would win out over looks.  In this movie, she befriends a girl who is obese and who also thinks she is obese, due to the fat suit.  The movie was surprisingly good with a few nerve striking lines, such as:

"When I'm fat, I don't own my own body anymore.  Everyone else has a right to an opinion on it, like what is that about?'

"I eat too much when I'm stressed and I hate exercise, but that's my problem.  How did it become everyone else's?"

The main character says something along the lines of well, they think that people like us cost the system, to which the truly larger girl says "Do you really think teenagers moo at us because they're really worried about the health care system?"

and...

"How are you supposed to believe you are worth something when you are told 15 times a day that you're not?...Drunks don't have to drink to live..."  In other words, when food is the demon, we can't just cut it out of our lives or we die.  But yet how successful would any alcoholic be if they had to drink just a little bit of alcohol every day?

Words are power.  Chose yours carefully.

I got semi-offended on Facebook tonight and am not sure if I am being overly sensitive.  I posted the following:

Survived the bike ride...did between 7.5-8 miles. Not bad for a first time out! Biking girls, I wore bicycle shorts with the padding and still ouch on the girly bits! What needs to happen? 

I asked it there because a few of my friends bike and I'm sure they have encountered the issue.  Meg responded and then this guy I did theater with a kabillion years ago who used to be twice as big as I ever was but had WLS several years ago, replies and says, "


okay forgive but has anyone heard Queen's Fat Bottom Girls its a classic

Am I missing something in the translation?  Did he mean to offend me?  How else should I take that?  I am not an overly-sensitive person and can usually see the joke or playfully sarcasm in anything...but this time I am struggling not to tell him where to go.

Words.

Anyway, the bike ride!  Exhausting and awesome.  We figured we did a total of about 7.5-8 miles.  The scenery was beautiful and at one point a doe and her fawn crossed the path in front of us and it took my breath away. 

I decided I do need a soft handlebar bag for my camera and drinks for the kids.  A little bike computer would rock too and I have found both on Amazon for a total with shipping of $25, but am debating ordering them.

Now my bits just need a day or two to heal.  I'm sure I'll be walking funny tomorrow


5 comments:

  1. Not quite sure how HE may of meant the comment...but the song itself (if I remember correctly-been too long ago)says "fat bottom girls you make the rocking world go round" and mentions a bike at the end.

    Come to think of it - I'd take it as an insult!!! :(

    Oh - that just p*sses me off!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kim, First kudos on the bike ride ...I'm all about walking these days but when the weather cools, well, heck, who knows..there may be a bike in my future...Anyway ...
    However the guy meant it ....it was not nice ...Can you drop him from your facebook ???? I don't know to much how facebook works but if I could I would X him right out...LOL
    Have a good weekend.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange comment. You might just want to ask him outright, in some neutral way - just to clear the air. I could comment on it, if you want - just let me know. I don't want to open a can of worms - we've seen it on FB and it's ugly. But if you like, I will inquire on your behalf! We can all make errors in judgement and say things that are offensive without meaning to, but I have a hard time believing anyone would comment directly on someone else's status with something that's a direct insult. Very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard the song but not familiar with the words.. I'd just take it with a grain of salt.. I doubt he was being hateful, and guys usually think they're soo funny even when they're being a dumbass! LOL
    Congrats on the bike ride! I can't wait to hop on my bike again when it's not 100+ degrees out! I say go for the computer... it's awesome, and you can keep track of your mileage.:)
    I've missed your blogs.. I need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that comment was strange too--figured the guy must have been someone verrrry close to you to get away with it, or else a pro cyclist who has all kinds of info on size/power/riding skills or something... I didn't know what to make of it.

    Of course, he's right in away. The heavier we are, the more weight on our girly parts. That's an issue for ALL cyclists--even pros. In cycling, it's a balance of lowest weight possible plus highest performance possible. You want to be light to avoid stress, pain, etc but not so light you lose power. And duh, the more weight on the saddle the more soreness.

    But what has any of that got to do with a first-time 8 mile ride? NOTHING!

    You're not sore because you're too heavy, you're sore because you're not used to riding!

    So forget him. Loser.

    Like I said, you'll be sore every time you ride for a while and it will gradually get better. EVERYBODY gets sore after really long rides. It's normal.

    Yeah, kudos on the ride!! :)

    ReplyDelete