Thursday, July 9, 2009

Turbo crap


At the Y there is a Tuesday night kickboxing class taught by Michael, aka Jack and a Thursday night class taught by Jennifer.  I am a huge fan of Michael's high energy class because he is a fabulous instructor.  He explains how to do things at our own pace but is funny and also brutal.  Jennifer's class I tolerate.  She doesn't work up to one huge routine by the end of the 45 minutes, which is one of the things I love about Michael's class.  But I love kickboxing in general so though I don't enjoy Jennifer's class very much, I go because cardio kickboxing is a great workout.  

This week was my first week back at both classes.  Tuesday night was great but tonight when I got there, I discovered that Jennifer was doing Turbo Kick for the first half of her KICKBOXING class.  I was slightly annoyed but figured they had to be similar so I would suck it up and deal.

Then the class started.  Lemme tell ya, Turbo means frenzied in Jenniferland.  This crap was so fast and the moves changed so rapidly that it left me stupefied, which was quickly moving into pissed off.  I got the impression she had been doing this occasionally over the last four weeks while I traveled as her class was suddenly way smaller tonight.  One guy packed it in and left in the first ten minutes.  I gave up and stood in the back of the room with another woman who had bailed on it as well.  Another person then came back and grabbed her stuff and said to me, "I can't keep up with this."  So there were four of us out of an already small class who this crap was not working for.  I tried to jump in a few more times but it was worse than Zumba for me. 

I tried to wait it out for the kickboxing part of the hour but when it arrived, she kept it every bit as frenzied as the Turbo Kick.  I finally grabbed my stuff and left, completely annoyed.  I stopped at the desk to ask one of the guys I talk to occasionally if her class was going to stay that way and he had no idea it was now anything but kickboxing. He had me leave a note for the person who handles the classes so we'll see.  I'm sorry, but it is wrong to expect actual kickboxing when you attend a kickboxing class? 

So I came home completely annoyed I had wasted that hour of my life for nothing and elected to go walk.  As I went back out my front door, my neighbor across the street was coming out to walk too,and good gravy has she lost weight!  She said she was down about 50 pounds so far.  She looks fantastic and I am so happy for her.  She actually motivated me to work harder to get to the size I am longing for.  We walked together and talked (we have spent very little time chatting in the past) and it turned out to be a perfectly enjoyable evening.

Came home and cut up all my beloved summer fruits to get ready for Fire pit Frenzy tomorrow night as I think my whole youth group is coming!

Happy Friday to all!



1 comment:

  1. I'm going to say that if you put at class down as kickboxing... that should be the main exercise form in the class. I would have been completely annoyed too.

    ReplyDelete