Saturday, July 11, 2009

Peace Interrupted


So now that both kids are home, the peace as I knew it, is over.  The youngest came home last night, which was fine and he was a huge help today with cleaning up the boat and some other things we needed to get done.  The older one came home late this afternoon...so let the bickering begin. 

13 year old boys are mind boggling. They have eyes for one thing: girls. Nothing else matters, which kind of floors me a little bit.  Case in point:  13 year old boys are lazy.  IF you can get them to do a job, it will probably be half assed and it doesn't matter if this job is being done in front of GIRLS.  I would think that the girl crazy boy would want to impress the girl by working really hard and doing a fantabulous job, but NOOOOO.  It just makes no sense to me, but then again, I have never been a 13 year old boy.  Thank you, God.

Church tomorrow will be interesting as our music director is on vacation for two Sundays and she takes half the praise band with her (her two sons).  So our music is recorded and we have to figure out the intros and one of the three of us has to sing from the back of the church at the sound booth so he can start and stop the tape.  I hate it. Not complaining about her taking vacation; everyone is entitled, but it does stress me out when she is gone.  I'm sure it will be fine; it always is but I always feel better with a human music director present and not a tape

Summer, though I love it, makes me feel in many ways like my workouts and weight loss have come to a weird crossroads.  I don't have alloted time to myself like when school is in session (five more weeks!) in which to plan my workouts.  Exercise is often very spur of the moment many days, when opportunity presents itself.  I also have to really balance keeping my house clean when kids are home all the time, so this also interferes and makes things more difficult.  I'd love to say my kids pick up after themselves but I would so be lying!  Then there is VBS which is right around the corner and I don't feel at all prepared for it yet.  Still a few weeks away but close enough to make me nervous.  Kirk and I discussed that we would rather do three mission trips, three weeks in a row than ten hours of VBS in a week.  If I could give up any one thing at the church, it would be VBS.  I think the reason is that my creative abilities are not VBS oriented.  I am not a decorator.  I have no idea how to cheaply decorated the front of the sanctuary to look like Rome (and when I say "cheap" I mean "Free"). I don't know how to make "Theme" snacks.  I don't know how to turn a classroom into a cave.  I don't have that kind of vision.  My vision has to do with words on a page.  Thus lies my frustration.  Some people have these abilities and I'm not one of them.

So if anyone knows how to turn a very contemporary sanctuary into Rome for no money, please leave me a comment!



No comments:

Post a Comment