Saturday, July 4, 2009

Let's Hear it for the Girls


I've discovered today that one of the things I like most about the mission trips are that free time is spent in relationships with others.  There are no electronic interruptions.  People talk to each other, play games together, do things together.  There is laughter.  There is conversation. 

I am missing these things today.

Yeah, after four weeks of constantly being on the go, I am still a little tired and a little out of sorts today.  But I think part of the being out of sorts is withdrawal.  I am female.  I enjoy conversing with others.  That's part of the reason I blog, I think.  It not only satisfies my need to write, but also my need to converse with other readers, whose blogs I also read. 

Males are not so big on conversation and I live with three of them.  They get annoyed when they can either not watch television or not watch it in peace.  Yeah, there are times I get frustrated when I am trying to watch something and am being interrupted constantly, but I have not sat down to deliberately watch something in over four weeks. I can honestly say, I have not really missed it.  I prefer the conversations.  I prefer relationships with people and interacting with them.

This is why I am missing my girls today.



From left to right, me, Corrina, PK, Rachel and Molly in the front.

Okay, so they aren't really my girls but their parents generously loan them out from time to time and I am so thankful that they do because it is at times, difficult living with all boys.  These four girls are darling, amazing, funny as hell and have personality I would have died for at their age.  They are all beautiful but not vain and they genuinely love each other, and love God and they share some of that love with me. 

We spent a week talking, laughing, walking and working together, side by side.  Interacting.  Deepening relationships among each other and among the guys in our group.  We talk, we offer advice, we spill our guts, we listen, we often hear what is not being said.  It's the beauty of relationship.  It's the way I think God intended things to be; He wanted us to interact with other in meaningful ways.  We did that this past week. 

Being with them was a blessing for me, despite the withdrawal today.  I miss the sounds of laughter, meaningful looks, playful scowls, eye rolling and mischievous winks.  I miss interacting with them as I sit here all alone, with one male upstairs and two others at the park. 

God is teaching me things by giving me boys, but I am so grateful He allows me a few borrowed girls from time to time.



No comments:

Post a Comment